LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
Being a lurker for some time, I often see questions that seem logical (being a non-builder) but the poster gets admonished for "not doing a search first".

I find that the search logic seems a bit different than that of large internet searches. What techniques have people used to better the chances of appropriate search returns? For example specific words, can you use boolean logic, etc.

Also, is there a convenient way to search personal "hangars"? Meaning, who has an RV-8 with this specific mod. Purpose of that info...now I can search just for posts by those people.

I am trying to maximize the info I get offline before "bothering" people on the forum.
Thanks

If you search in google with this:

site:vansairforce.com your search here

...it will limit the results to just this site, and not all those that contain links and such to here. You can use the advanced search keywords from the normal search bar, vs putting vansairforce.com in the domain block of the advanced search as Lee said, too...just a faster method you can use anywhere.

Adding required terms can help limit things, like:

site:vansairforce.com +primer +epoxy which is best

...would would ensure the results were on vansairforce.com only, contained both the words "primer" and "eboxy"...and then the other non-required words would help shape what comes up first. Also useful when you want to make sure a thread contains an exact part number in the plans....what I'm currently doing the most. Then Ctrl-Click the results to open lots of tabs, and read away. :)

Also if you want exact word order:

site:vansairforce.com +"Don't forget about the pink scooter!"

...you can use quotes for that. :p

And...a lot of time the results will be in a plain archive format with no images. Just click the "View Full Version : <LINK>" at the top to get to the real thread.

For more operators and Boolean stuff, check out this: http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861 (and don't bother with the vBulletin search button within the forums for beyond casual searching, IMO)

Also the direct link to the Advanced Search page if you want to use the form: http://www.google.com/advanced_search ...it is nice in that it builds and displays the direct query for you, so you can see how to do it freehand, too.

Last edited:
I always use the "Advanced Search" function, and unless I know when something was posted, I always change the default setting of "A Year Ago" to "Any Date".

You can also limit to various forums, or authors------but I dont recommend doing that unless you are SURE you know who wrote the item you are looking for, and where it was posted.

Good luck.

My resent panel project has me doing lots and lots of searches. I have found the Google search method using site:vansairforce.com to be the fastest means to useful answers. Another trick I find helpful - when looking for those "how did you do X" questions - is to perform the Google search and then switch to "imageā€ results.

There is definitely a lot of useful information here on VAF !

Last edited:
To the "implied" part of your question...

Being a lurker for some time, I often see questions that seem logical (being a non-builder) but the poster gets admonished for "not doing a search first".

There are many personalities on this forum and some are ?prickly.? It would seem, in a gentleman?s forum, to just answer the question is the best response. One should realize that the query is usually posted by someone who is vexed by a problem and is creating all kinds of hobgoblins in their mind about ruining their project ? delicate forum etiquette being the furthest thing from their mind. As a retired military guy I have little patience with folks who have little patience.

Plus one for google and advanced search function.

Although I have done searches many times over the years on this site, I have always preferred the interaction and the back and forth of questions and answers. Often a question comes up that has been posted before but the poster may be a new forum member, just the kind of people this forum needs to continue what it is all about. Searches can be very passive and boring and often don't answer the specific question.
It's too bad that a newcomer or lurker feels hesitant to ask a question because he might get admonished by the forum bullies.

I will sometimes point people to the archives, but I never do in a sense of "why don't you leave us alone and go search like you should have - stop bothering us kid!" Rather, I oftentimes suggest a search to someone with a low post count who may not realize what a wealth of information lies in these archives - and because here is so much good information that has been contributed by people who are no longer active here. Current discussions are good, of course - but we should never lose sight of the fact that there are questions that have been answered very well in the past, and that knowledge shouldn't be lost.

That said, I will be the first to admit that it is NOT easy to find information using the built-in search function it just isn't that smart. I frequently have to try and remember WHO posted the info, and then go looking for posts by them. very inefficient. I have taken to using the Google thing...

Paul