mvidalr

Well Known Member
Which is, according to you enlighted builders, the best way to measure the UP/DOWN travel range of the elevators?

Is it simply by setting the elevator level at 0 degrees, and then noticing the up and down limit using the Table on Section 15?
Do you account for the tapered shape of the trailing edge?

Do you have any recommendations that Vans might have overseen?

Thanks!

A digital level makes for an easy job. Put the elevator in trail (neutral), place the level on the top elevator surface, zero the level, and then move to the desired degree travel. Make sure you tape the level down to hold it in place.

I use the digital level method, and now I just do it with a "level" App on my iPhone....you don't need this measurement to anything closer than a degree.

Low tech solution.

If the fiberglass tips are not yet installed, make a tracing of the stabilizer and elevator on posterboard with a chordline drawn from leading edge to trailing edge. Then mark the up and down travel limits with a protractor or triangle.

A digital level makes for an easy job. Put the elevator in trail (neutral), place the level on the top elevator surface, zero the level, and then move to the desired degree travel. Make sure you tape the level down to hold it in place.

Thanks! That's just the way I imagined to be. It seems quite simple.
But how do you stop these movements? Is there a physical stop supplied later on in the kit (I'm currently working on the wings, I guess that will come during fuselage construction).

I use the digital level method, and now I just do it with a "level" App on my iPhone....you don't need this measurement to anything closer than a degree.

You're right! I have that same app installed on my iphone. I know that might not be as accurate as a real digotal level but definitely gives us an idea for a rough installation before fine tunning

If the fiberglass tips are not yet installed, make a tracing of the stabilizer and elevator on posterboard with a chordline drawn from leading edge to trailing edge. Then mark the up and down travel limits with a protractor or triangle.

Yes this is probably the best way to measure the degrees of travel before spending $100 on a digital smart level. It will also serve as a feedback to make sure the iphone level app is accurate.
Most ancient pyramids were built using the sun's position as a reference to the angle, an yet here I am banging my head on the wall.

Thanks guys! :)

Yes this is probably the best way to measure the degrees of travel before spending $100 on a digital smart level.

Thanks guys! :)

You can buy a Wixey angle finder for $25-29. Works similarly to a digital level and measures to 0.1 degree. Don't need that kind of resolution for an RV, but maybe for other things.

Jim Berry
RV-10