ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
What is an easy way to mark the line 3/32" forward of the forward bow of the slider for the big cut? I've tried it a couple different ways but I'm not happy with the results.

Put a flashlight inside the cockpit pointing up between the roll bar and canopy bow. I placed a wide piece of masking tape over the area to be marked (basically covering the bow and roll bar on the outside of the canopy). Then I had my daughter reach in with a thin piece of cardboard and slide in slowly between the gap. This showed up as a thin black line projected on the tape from the inside. I simply and carefully marked a thin line with a marker along this projection as she slid from one side to the other. I didn't bother or care about it being 3/32 beyond the roll bar as it is all covered up with glass work later on.

i used a dremel tool with reinforced cutoff wheel and it was like cutting butter with about 1/16" gap left between the two halves. Because it cuts like butter go slow and be very careful!

Put a flashlight inside the cockpit pointing up between the roll bar and canopy bow. I placed a wide piece of masking tape over the area to be marked (basically covering the bow and roll bar on the outside of the canopy). Then I had my daughter reach in with a thin piece of cardboard and slide in slowly between the gap. This showed up as a thin black line projected on the tape from the inside. I simply and carefully marked a thin line with a marker along this projection as she slid from one side to the other. I didn't bother or care about it being 3/32 beyond the roll bar as it is all covered up with glass work later on.

i used a dremel tool with reinforced cutoff wheel and it was like cutting butter with about 1/16" gap left between the two halves. Because it cuts like butter go slow and be very careful!

Thanks. That's the first I've heard of somebody actually marking the canopy while on the plane. That's a good idea.

What is an easy way to mark the line 3/32" forward of the forward bow of the slider for the big cut? I've tried it a couple different ways but I'm not happy with the results.

Would have thought that if you could build the U-2 and SR-71 that you could figure this out.:)

jig

I took a square and marked where the canopy frame was in relation to the plexi, then measured 3/32 from that and made a jig from some thin aluminum which matched the contour of the frame and used a extra fine sharpie through a hole drilled in the jig. Worked out pretty well. Hope this helps..

Thanks for all the advice. I got home, scratched my head a bit and came up with this:

CIMG3418.jpg

I just made a little jig out of wood. You an see that I drew some test lines on my work bench until I got the desired distance. In my case, I chose to go about 1/8" in front of the bow. Then I can sand down to the 3/32" later.

CIMG3419.jpg

I laughed out loud :D

And I wasn't even named after THE Kelly Johnson. :confused:

I worked at the Skunk Works when I was right out of school and, although he was retired, he still had an office there. Imagine when my girlfriend (my wife now) called there for me, got his secretary, and proceeded to tell her that she was his girlfriend! At that point I became "the young Kelly Johnson" or "Kelly Johnson, no relation"!