cjensen

Well Known Member
The SJ cowl that I bought has already been prepped and fitted to the fuselage of another 7, but it was an "A" model.

Can I get some ideas on the best way to cover the slot back up from you all? In addition to "best practice" to do this, I need to know how many layers I need to lay up to match the rest of the cowl...

Thanks!

cowl

Hey Chad,

I just did this in the spring when I change over to taildragger. I would first fit the cowl on the airplane and get all your fastners installed. With the cowl on the airplane I drilled and clecoed a scrap of aluminum over the the slit to lock it in place. Pulled the cowl and did one layer to the inside with the aluminum clecoed back in place to keep it nice and flat and then did a second layup on the outside. Seems to be holding up well and after finnishing and repaint it looks like it was never there.

So just two layers is, one in and one out, is what you used? Did you use a release for the AL, or did it not stick?:confused:

release

Chad,

I just used paste wax for a release and it came right off. Also on both side I should have said that it was a scarf joint. Sand down into the fiberglass on both sides so that you are bonding to glass.