Paul K

Well Known Member
At 51.4 total hrs. My nose wheel went flat! I made a couple of really nice landings and then parked in front of my hangar. I got distracted by the neighbors project and when I came back about 10 minutes later, my tire was flat! No indications during the landings or taxi at all.

Upon taking it apart. I found a very small pin hole in the side of the tube. Fortunately I had a spare tube and after checking the inside of the tire for anything that could have caused the hole (nothing) I reassembled it and reinstalled it. All is well and no damage to the pant.

All my tubes and tires are original, stored on the shelf about 1 year, installed on the RV about 3 years during construction, and finally flown for the first time this June. I surfed the forums and am not sure what the absolute/cost doesn't matter, best tube and tire combination is. I can see that many don't think highly of the "Vans" supplied tires and tubes and lots of opinions on others but no real absolute best! Any data or experiences that would support one type over another would be appreciated. Let the games begin:D

I've had very good luck with Desser. Monster retreads on the mains, and based on how well that has worked out, I would go there when I need a nose tire. So far good luck on the nose - very little wear on the Van's tire and only one flat due to a bad tube.

Dan

+1 on the desser retreads. very good no problems yet on mine.
monster tubes. I may put green slime in. havent decided yet.

I've had very good luck with Desser. Monster retreads on the mains, and based on how well that has worked out, I would go there when I need a nose tire. So far good luck on the nose - very little wear on the Van's tire and only one flat due to a bad tube.

Dan

Tubes - Michelin Airstop

Michelin Airstop tubes I would think would get the best votes on here for quality, low leakage?

Vans tubes do get a bad writeup, but I think they source from various places, and some even say they have been known to supply Airstops.

At 51.4 total hrs. My nose wheel went flat! I made a couple of really nice landings and then parked in front of my hangar.

I still have original nose tire and tube from Vans. 600 hours and probably 700+ landings and tire still looks new. I fly off of concrete runway at home airport so can be tough on tires. I aways taxi with stick full aft and nose tire is never on the ground above 40 kts for takeoff or above 30 kts (usually <25 kits) for landing. Need to put air in tires only a few times per year.

Mains I switched out the aero trainers after only about 100 hours (worn down to chords) and went with Air Hawks. Just put second set of Air Hawks on after 450 hours on the first set using LeakGuard tubes. I had fliped the tires on the wheels to get even wear after 250 hours. I am happy with the Air Hawks and LeakGuards as I only need to add air a couple times per year, typically when there is a large temperature swing.

Last edited: