cjensen

Well Known Member
I'm to the point of my forward canopy work where I'm ready to make the final trims. I'm talking less than 1/8" at the most, with most of what's left to come off being less than 1/32" or so. These trims are not going to happen with the cut off wheel, and I'm wondering if there is a certain tool (file, sandpaper, etc.) that others have used to gently bring the edge to the final trim line. The really narrow parts will be sanded with a sanding block, but can I safely file some of the thicker areas?

I found that a hand-held belt sander was good at taking off significant amounts in a very controlled manner Chad.

Paul

I got pretty close with a belt sander. Then I used the two-handed notched scraper tool I purchased from Avery for final edge finishing. The Avery tool works like a draw-knife.

Steve

I liked a 1.5" sanding drum (Lowes, HD, etc) in a die grinder. Light pressure, long even strokes. Coarse grit takes material off very quickly, so go easy or use fine grit (which can still go pretty quickly). Always work against the rotation of the drum, ie, so that the "dust" is pushed forward.

Angle die grinder

I liked a 2 inch disk on an angle die grinder.

Follow up with a rubber block sander with 100 grit in steps down to 600 grit of wet/dry paper used wet.

This leaves a nice polished edge.... use a softer block for the last few grits, and the edges will be nicely knocked off.

I used an orbital sander with progressively finer grit sand paper. I finished up by hand with a sanding block and used wet "wet & dry" for a final polish.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

I used an orbital sander with progressively finer grit sand paper. I finished up by hand with a sanding block and used wet "wet & dry" for a final polish.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up
I agree with using a small palm sander, random orbital or otherwise. Belt sanders work, but they are really better used with two hands and can get out of control real quick. (I've got lots of experience with messed up furniture I've built to prove it :eek:, plus they take off quite a bit of material quickly, even with a fine grit.) I used 80 grit, then 150grit, then 200 grit on my orbital then finished up by hand with 200 grit again then 400 grit to finish. Good luck, sounds like the canopy is almost history for you! Defintely a good feeling.

Thanks for all the replies/ideas guys! I'm gonna use a combination of the suggestions, and have already gone out and bought sandpaper in increments...all the way to 2500!! :eek:

It's all masked off as of tonight, and I'll be ready to start the sanding this weekend.

I still have the rear glass to do, but getting to this point on the front has been rewarding, but quite the process!

It was suggested to me to use Perma Grit blocks when I started doing fiberglass work. I found that they also did a great job at plexi work.

Chad,

I used a belt sander, a 1/4 sheet vibrating sander, and a long board with sand paper glued to it.

I worked my way to down to 1500 grit paper and polished the edges.

The belt sander was used to take down a lot of extra material. The long board was good to make sure the cut lines where straight and lined up good. The 1/4 sheet sander was used to polish the edges prior to mounting the thing.