RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Several rvs from Canada are heading south for a bit of an invasion early april. Depending on weather, we are planning on maybe having a one night stay, a few beers and a fuel stop somewhere near the south west side of the blue ridge mountains.
Lots of airports, lots of pretty fair fuel prices.

Figured we would ask if anyone had some good suggestions for a stop that has something different to offer? We enjoy the small town type airports, great little stop overs, scenic spots, great hospitality etc well over the big airports and chain restaurants.

Thanks for any pireps. Must escape SNOW. :D

Last edited:
Stops

Rick,

Look at Habersham County Airport (KAJR) in Northeast Georgia just on the South side of the chain and East of Atlanta's class B airspace. This is where my home is and where I live when I,m in Ga.

There's not a restaurant on the field but they'll give you the crew car to go eat. All around "good ole boys" and real "aviators" of the old school.

I typically take less than 2and a half hours to Lakeland from there.

KRHP in southwest NC mountains. Crew car and resturants in both Andrews and Murphy. Beautiful mountains!

Well of course my recomendation will be Asheville. KAVL.

Beer city USA, won over Portland for the last few years. More local restaurants than you can shake a stick at. I have not eaten at a chain restaurant in over 6 years.

An alternate local is 0A7, about 15 miles south of town. Fuel will be cheaper there.

Thanks

Will look up all suggested. Even got a pm to try heavens landing. (how the other half live).

Thanks for the suggestions, will pick one in the next few.

Thanks

Will look up all suggested. Even got a pm to try heavens landing. (how the other half live) and its fairly close to the planned LZ but not ideal for lodging, but would be cool to see.

Thanks

Will look up all suggested. Even got a pm to try heavens landing. (how the other half live) and its fairly close to the planned LZ but not ideal for lodging, but would be cool to see.

Heaven's Landing is great. I got a place there. Call Mike C., he will arrange lodging and give you a tour.

Jeff

Ever been to KGKT?

Lots to see and do - more than could possibly be done in a day. Staying a night? They have plenty of reasonably priced quaint cabins with upgrades such as jacuzzi tubs in bedroom, pool tables, fireplaces (some with fireplaces on back deck beside hot tub), some even have heated pools in the basement of 1 bedroom cabins.