80WD

My present starter will not stay engaged long enough to start engine if it does not start on first pop. I start engine on left mag and turn on right mag after engine is running. I have separate mag switches. It normally takes two or more tries to start engine. Warm engine usually no problem starts first try. The engine is a carb O-360 with two mags. Engine runs well, good compression, and low oil consumption. 1780 hours.
Dennis Winkel
920-296-0645

Skytech one data point

I have the skytech lightweight starter and the Catto 3 blade, 0-360 and dual mags. Never had an issue starting but I have the regular key switch and start in the "Both" position. I do have the standard primer installation which I use both cold and hot. Starts normally take a few blades.

If the engine actually fires (even one solid combustion event), do you really want the starter to stay engaged? If it does, it might stay that way after a full start.

I've got a wood 2 blade & whatever lightweight automotive starter that fits (in other words, a light weight aviation starter without the label...). Sometimes the O-320 it's on is hard to start, but it isn't the starter's fault; it's a Lyc with a carb & mags being operated by a klutz. :)

Charlie

starter with catto

I have o 360 and catto 2 blade with mag left and EI right and skytech. Easy starts left right or both.