I'm looking at two Rv 4s one has a constant speed three blade whirlwind prop on an 0-360 and one has a Sensenich fixed pitch on an 0320 160 hp. Could anyone give me the pros and cons to each when paired with an RV 4? Will be doing some sport aerobatics, operate from paved runway, and doing some 300 mile x country.

Thanks

Your question falls into the "endless debate" catagory for a few reasons.
320 v. 360
Fixed pitch v. C/S
3 blade v. 2
Wood v. Metal

No matter what opinion anyone gives on their preference for the above, someone else will have exactly the opposite opinion and may even site the same reasons.

My opinion?:D

Lighter is better.

That said, I haven't flown a metal bladed, c/s, 380 -4... I bet its awesome too.

Last edited:
prop

Hi Britt,
The rv4 with the 360 and c/s will be very nose heavy (solo) lots of stick force.
Better have the longer gear, or you will soon have a shorter prop, if it hasn't already been whacked. The fixed pitch metal prop is HARD limited to 2600rpm, that is a real pain in the backside when playing. Plus the metal prop just is not as smooth as a wood one. Hopes this help. Bob

I have a 320 and a fixed pitched sensenich. The 2600 RPM limit suxs when flying formation and also during low level. I won't have that combo again because it does not support my mission (it may support yours). My other -4 has a 320 with a catto 3-bladed prop. I hope that combo works better.

I recognize that tail, and more importantly, the smoothness and symmetry of the acro!! How ya doin' Cobra??

160 hp / Sterba woody

I'm running a 160 O320H2AD with a Sterba woody..love my acceleration, no RPM limits and light weight. I am very interested in the Sensinich ground adjustable, if PIREPs ever start showing up,and are favorable. I doubt many people hit the perfect combination with their first prop. I bought my Sterba off Ebay for 200 bucks, so it was a no-brainer for my first. I could use a little more bite/diameter, as my top end is a little low.

Hi Britt,
The rv4 with the 360 and c/s will be very nose heavy (solo) lots of stick force.
Better have the longer gear, or you will soon have a shorter prop, if it hasn't already been whacked.
A scary caution that simply isn't true, especially with a 3 blade (re: shorter blade length) prop. I had no prop strike issues with my short gear, Hartzel C/S, O-360, RV-4. I frequently flew on both paved and rough grass strips. I have a whopping 250 hours of flying time, 100 of which was in a Cessna 150 before buying the RV-4. If I can do it...

Last edited:
A scary caution that simply isn't true, especially with a 3 blade (re: shorter blade length) prop. I had no prop strike issues with my short gear, Hartzel C/S, O-360, RV-4. I frequently flew on both paved and rough grass strips. I have a whopping 250 hours of flying time, 100 of which was in a Cessna 150 before buying the RV-4. If I can do it...
I wondered when someone would say it, I would way rather have the 360 and WW CS prop on an RV-4, all other things being equal.

I wondered when someone would say it, I would way rather have the 360 and WW CS prop on an RV-4, all other things being equal.

No kidding. For me the choice would be a no-brainer. A 360 with a composite WW 3-blade CS prop would not weigh significantly all that much more than a 320 with a metal Sensenich fixed pitch prop, in fact a bit more weight on the nose might even be welcome with a rear seat pax or the baggage compartment loaded full on a long X-C. The extra power and performance of the 360/CS prop combo would always be more desirable in my opinion.

(...this opinion coming from the guy with a wood prop, O-320 RV-6 :p)