the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some help to pick routes through YNP in my non-RV. I came across a recommended route from the American Yankee Association that looks reasonable. However, I was planning on flying the whole thing at 9500 to 10k to give plenty of terrain clearance and stay at/below 10k. I'm not terribly concerned about noise since we'll be cruising at 100kt, where the CT isn't exactly loud.

We're planning on coming down from BZN through West Yellowstone (might stop at WYS just for fun), through the southern part of the park, then exiting through the north at Gardner and back across the pass at Livingston to BZN.

Any comments / pointers for this route? We know density altitudes will be high (record heat this week in BZN) and plan to depart BZN about 6:30a to avoid super-high DA and mountain turbulence.

Thanks,
TODR

Route thru yellowstone

I fly scenic charter flights out of Cody, Wyoming over Yellowstone NP. I fly up the Scenic Chief Joesph Highway thru the NE entrance over the Park and out the East entrance back to Cody, All at 10500. With the 2000' recommended altitude over the park, 10500 works for most of it. If you fly South down the Madison River from BZN to West Yellowstone you can make it at 9500'. 10,000' will be less than 2000' above the Park in some places and more in others. There are only a couple of peaks in the Park that you might have to go around at 10,000'. You can then fly down the Yellowstone River over Gardner to Livingston. There is also a small strip at Gardner you might land at if you had time. Gardner is an interesting little town.

Al McCreery
RV6 Cody, WY

AMcCreery said:
If you fly South down the Madison River from BZN to West Yellowstone you can make it at 9500'. ...There is also a small strip at Gardner you might land at if you had time. Gardner is an interesting little town.

Al McCreery
RV6 Cody, WY
I've always wondered about that strip. Haven't gone back to Gardner and YNP since I started flying 18 months ago. Looked like it would be a steep approach.

Good to know that 9500' works. Is there any normally any radio coordination? 122.75?

TODR

Best routes through Yellowstone

Ocassionally you will see a scenic flight out of Jackson Hole but not often. I have never heard anyone in the Park on 122.75. If you go South far enough to pass the Jackson Hole airport make sure you check NOTAMS. The VP lives
about 7 mile Southwest of the airport and it will have a TFR if he is home, also
lots of TFR's for Fires out here. It should be a beautiful flight especially if you catch OLD FAITHFUL shooting off.
Al McCreery
RV6
Cody, Wyoming

AMcCreery said:
Ocassionally you will see a scenic flight out of Jackson Hole but not often. I have never heard anyone in the Park on 122.75. If you go South far enough to pass the Jackson Hole airport make sure you check NOTAMS. The VP lives about 7 mile Southwest of the airport and it will have a TFR if he is home
Oh, I've come and gone through JAC many times (757s and the occasional ride in a friend's Aerostar 700P :cool: ) and have been delayed by the veep more than once. It's good to be the king.