Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and about to start on a -7 kit. My question is which rivet gun do most guys recommend. I understand trigger control is different on really good brands.

Thx, Max

I think it's safe to say that any of the ones you get from the usual suspects (Avery, Cleaveland, ATS, etc.) will be fine. I would suggest that you look at the type of gun instead -- 2X, 3X, 4X. This is matter of control and feel. The 2X hits faster but lighter than a 3X. Best to try out the different ones if you can. I opted for a 3X myself and haven't regretted it.

By the way, welcome to VAF!

rivet gun

- try before buy it.

- I'm using a Taylor 2x bought 3 years ago, works fine for me.

- buy the "FLUSH SWIVEL RIVET SET"

- 2x is easier for me, more control

- Don't worry and PRACTICE first !

Ciao

Get 3x

I bought and use the Avery 3x Gun. You need the 3x for 1/8 rivets. Get a 2x later after you find a need for it. good luck.

3X seems to be more popular than 2X, but both will do.

Chicago Pneumatic (no relation to Harbor Freight's Chicago whatever) is the standard and most of what you find out there will be a clone of a CP. And just because they are clones does not mean they aren't as good as a CP. Avery's guns are copies of the CP and parts interchange, according to Bob. Ingersoll Rand also makes a good gun, but they have their own numbering system and an ACV12 won't be exactly comparable to a 3X--it will actually hit a little harder & slower.

Although I prefer my IR gun over my CP, the CP, being a little shorter fits into tight spots better and there was one spot on my wings where I could not use my IR, but the CP worked.

New CP & IR guns are spendy, so if you want one, buy it on Ebay.

Sioux guns are popular but I haven't used one so I can't comment.

My old ATS gun was a piece of junk but I understand new ones are better.

I am not impressed with the Taylor, but the owners of the Taylor's I have tried have been satisfied.

My own preference is my very used IR ACV12 which I bought thru Ebay for $35. Very controllable, hits hard or easy depending on air pressure.

There are a couple dozen guns on Ebay right now; be sure to check out the sellers and know what you are bidding on if you go with Ebay.

Lastly, note that most folks will recommend what they own and are satisfied with, which may be the only gun they have used. Try out several different guns if you can.

Last edited:
I used a Sioux 3X from Avery and it worked very well. I also recommend a pneumatic squeezer and assorted yokes. I never did own a hand squeezer.

Roberta

Experience with 2 guns.

ATS, fair (perhaps I had the older, no so good type, circa 1988)

Sioux, excellent

A 2X is best for 3/32 rivets, But will do 1/8 rivets.

A 3X is best for 1/8 rivets, But will do 3/32 rivets.

So how many 1/8" rivets are there in your kit?

go with the best!

As stated, Chicago Pneumatic is the standard which all others copy or try to compare themselves to. If you can make it to Sun-n-fun or Osh, check the vendors and marts. I bought refurbished 2X and 4X Chicago Pneumatics for about 1/2 what a new clone costs (about $75). They've served me well for 11 years.