Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I may want to replace my main tires during annual this summer. I have heard that better quality tires are available than those provided by Van's with the kit. Anybody suggest the best replacement? Thanks Bill of Georgia RV-8A Bluebird

Tires

Desser has great re-treads. I'm running theses now. My 6A wears tires on one side and the extra rubber makes a set of retreads last longer for me.

Buy the finest tubes you can find. You'll also need talc.

Spruce had some Michelin dupes that are made in the same factory/molds but I do not know if they still have them. I had good service from them.

The very best new main gear tires, by far, are Goodyear Flight Custom III tires... breathtakingly expensive at around $160 each. My RV-6 came with a set of these from the previous owner, but I finished wearing most the tread off one so I just installed a pair of cheap AirHawks.

Lots of folks here swear by Desser retreads, either the Elite or the Monster retreads get good reviews. I intend to send my Goodyear FC-III cores off to Desser to be retreaded as "Elites".

The Aero Classic "Retro" tires (OEM from Vans) with the diamond pattern where the sidewall meets the tread are actually pretty good tires too.

Last edited: