phelan

I'm starting from scratch. No formal training whatsoever. The most experience I have is a few quick trips with my Uncle (who's also an A&P) in Amarillo. And I want to build an RV 10 after I get my license. Living in Keller I have found several schools at Hicks Field, Northwest Regional, and Meacham. Even though I haven't met him yet, I have every intention of recruiting Jay Pratt's RV Central to hold my hand when I start on the RV, so I am leaning towards Pro-Aircraft at Hicks. I was wondering what your personal experiences are, with the trainers, owners, etc, from these schools. Thanks in advance.

I received my PPL training at Marcair at 52F and feel it is one of the best flight schools I have ever visited. The equipment is top notch....several 06 model 172's. It's also a fun airport. I have heard people complain about the approach to the runways(to me hicks is harder for some reason)....i figure if you learn there everywhere else is a breeze.

I also received the majority of my instrument training, tailwheel endorsement, and high performence/complex rating there.

John and Matt are two of the nicest guys I know. I would recommend them to anyone.

Marcair

I did my biannual at Marcair with John Watson and like the school and John alot. I will probably hire John when I start my IFR ticket.

I like that they're a Cessna Pilot Center. I'm sure that helps them with keeping their fleet current. So I guess Northwest Regional doesn't have too much of a problem with DFW or Alliance traffic? I know Hicks is right between Alliance and Meacham - it's all so crowded over here. I guess in the end it's like learning to drive. If you learn in the country with no traffic, then it's a lot harder when you're trying to navigate in downtown Dallas. Thanks for the responses guys. Knowing that you went back or plan to for your next cert is a big endorsement.

They have some of the cleanest/best looking rental spam cans around. The airspace is not too difficult. 52F is nested between the Delta airspace from FTA to the west and the Bravo above and the to the east around DFW. Just be an aware pilot. I trained out of FTW and I feel pretty comfortable with the radio and the traffic. The Alliance guys will let you do pattern drills all day long, just be aware of the FedEx heavies.