There is no doubt that I would put one on top of the other or if space is available side by side. I have a 10" and a 7" side by side in my RV9 and know for me having the screens in front of the pilot is best. The flexability of the screen displays in that format is very useable especially in the IFR environment where I have the PDF and approach plate shown on the 10" screen and on the 7" screen I have the moving map and engine instruments displayed. I would not be happy if the 7" was on the Co-Pilot side as it would be virtually unuseable because the screen is just too small. If it was a 10" it might be better.

Just my two cents and experience.

I would not be happy if the 7" was on the Co-Pilot side as it would be virtually unuseable because the screen is just too small. If it was a 10" it might be better.

Just my two cents and experience.

I have a 10" and a 7" with the 7" on the right side of the panel. I did this so the co-pilot (if one was present) would have a PFD in front of them and to serve as a backup system. However, 90% of the time I am the sole pilot and the 7" display is about useless. A 10" over there would work OK but otherwise I find the cross side terribly inconvenient to use for routine flying when I can have it all right in front of me.

My vote would be keep them both as high as possible, so side by side. How about one right in front of PIC and the other directly to the right of the first, about center of the panel. Then leave room for an Mini iPad on the co-pilot side, bluetoothed to the skyviews.

My vote would be keep them both as high as possible, so side by side. How about one right in front of PIC and the other directly to the right of the first, about center of the panel. Then leave room for an Mini iPad on the co-pilot side, bluetoothed to the skyviews.

As high as possible, UNLESS you are far-sighted. I wear so-called progressive lenses and found that 4" down from the top was optimum for me (located where they are in focus with my head held level, so I need move only my eyes, not my head, down).

I personally like panel-radio-panel because this is what I'm used to from 182 days, where engine instruments are all on right side. ymmv.

Well, you need to do whatever you think works best for you but I chose one in front of the pilot, one in front of the passenger. My EFIS are GRT's not Dynons but they are similar in size. As far as being able to see them, I run the PFD on the pilot side with the MAP screen up on the passenger side. I have no problem at all seeing both screens on the panel from the pilot seat (7 and 9 panels are the same).
panel%252520pic%252520large.JPG

Here is a poor quality pic of the screens lit up, including the iPad that I mounted using a RAM ball mount on the right canopy rail:
iPad%252520installation.jpg

My reasoning for mounting this way was so that any pilot flying with me from the right seat would have the same view of everything (s)he needed to fly the plane right in front of them just as I have from the left seat. Everything was designed so that right seat pilots would have full access to everything needed during flight. The one exception to this is the ignition switch and master switch, which are on the bottom left side of the panel.

I think the stacked 7" screens would make for a better/more logical panel layout. I like the look of a PFD/MFD stack flanked by a radio stack. I've worked up some layout ideas for my -8 that included dual stacked 7" screens, though I think I'm going to end up going with a single 10" touch display instead.

My two cents...

In my VFR ship, I realized that one 10" SkyView was more than enough screen space for me.

New%252520Panel%2525202.JPG

The small display on the right is a Dynon PocketPanel.

However, to answer your question, I would put cardboard displays on the panel blank and sit in front of it for some time. Only then will you know what you like.

Last edited:
Size matters

You can go to the Dynon web site and print representations at full scale. Tape them to your instrument panel, move them around and decide what you like. I did and it really helped me decide on my layout.

I will add that you might look at the Advanced Flight PFDs as well. They have an 8.4" that Dynon does not. I think this larger screen is more visible than the 7" without eating up all the real estate of a 10". I am using two 8.4s, one in front of each pilot.

Added benefit AFS systems work with Dynon equipment.

I have two 7" Skyview screens one in front of the pilot, other in front of the passenger. After flying this way almost 5 years, this week I removed the panel for a makeover as the screen in front of the passenger was just out of my line of view. New arrangement will have one screen in front of the pilot, the two knobs and buttons just to the right. The second screen, SL30 and audio panel just about in the center of the panel. Transponder is remote.