TCSMOORE

My RV-7A has a nice panel but it was put together some time ago.

The GPS is a Bendix King KMD 150. You can't get database updates (and when you could they were $245 per update). The system drives an auto pilot which is a TruTrack Digiflight II.

If you want to see a quick summary of panel it is on a short video at https://youtu.be/g7kscPKzQRs

I am intending to have this plane for some time. I would like to have a panel which has a quality source which is likely to be WAAS etc. For example a GTN 635 from Garmin see LINK is an expensive unit at US$10.4k (excluding fitting). Features such as XM weather are not of interest due to use in Australia and ADS-B needs to be 1090ES as Australia has opted for all aircraft, except those operating under the VFR in Class D airspace or in Class G below 10 000 feet to be at 1090ES.

Any comments suggesting the most appropriate replacement for the KMD 150 are most welcome.

Tim - a question or two, if I may...

1) what are the Australian requirements for the ADS-B position source?
2) what budget do you have available?

These two answers will go a long way toward defining what you can use to fill that hole in your panel.

Right off the bat, I'd suggest you take a long hard look at the Avidyne IFD540 as it is a WAAS navigator with hybrid touch/button operator interface, and it would retain similar situational awareness to what you currently have, based on screen size and the information presented on that screen.

Yes, the IFD540 would be a big upgrade from what you currently have, however if you require a certified WAAS position source for ADS-B then this is a great way to get that, plus make your aircraft much more ready for IFR should you opt to go that route in the future.

Just my two cents, plus or minus the current exchange rate... ;-)

Tim
The big question is, do you intend to fly ifr? And if so do you desire/require gps navigation?
If the answers are "yes", then you're stuck with the big $$ approach of an ifr gps navigator.
If the answer is "no", then I'd say just keep the existing setup with the old database.

For ADSB using mode S-ES: Will your current Dynon panel drive the Dynon S-ES transponder? Otherwise, the Trig TT31 will fit into the 327's slot (but needs more depth behind the panel). Either way, you'll need a stand-alone approved gps for the ADSB but it will be a lot less than an ifr navigator.

If you do go the route of an ifr gps navigator (Garmin, Avidyne, Bendix/King) make sure it has an ADSB output that can be read by the mode S ES transponder of your choice.