Brantel

Well Known Member
Whats the best option available today for a EFB that I can also trick my wife into thinking it is for her to be used as an EReader? :p

I just don't think an Ipad is cut out for a RV cockpit due to visibility. My Iphone 4 is just about unusable outside and I imagine the Ipad while it might be better, I doubt it is tons better.

If you get the Nook Color from B&N you can hack it to run the Android OS and get nifty aviation related apps...

If you want an ereader and just have the capability of loading approach plate pdfs, ect I recommend a Kindle (I like mine so I'm partial).

Andrew, I have a Kindle also but in doing a search on Amazon for the plates, I only found the NE edition, am I missing something, or are they available for other areas, if you know? Thanks in advance, Glenn

Plates or full EFB?

If you just want plates I'd try a Kindle since it's day readable (but small) (but cheap). I have an IPAD-1 with foreflight and love it. I use it in the 6 but have to shade it a bit to see the VFR charts - Ironically, its a VFR ship and I can read the IFR enroutes really well so I often leave it mapping on those.

I'm looking at picking up a Nook and will be looking at one today. I might wait for B&N's android release or I might root it. Not sure...

Glenn-

You can download your plates as pdf's (from various websites on the internet for free) and then transfer them via USB cable. :)

Thanks Andrew, you would think Amazon would offer the complete set, not just NE. Hard to beat though at only $2.99. Fly safe.....

Is the screen usable for plates on the Kindle3 ? I understand it supports pan and zoom and links in the PDF's. Is the screen too small?

How about the layest firmware for the Kindle DX? I understand it adds pan and zoom but no linking for PDF's?

I hate to invest in a DX since it seems they are moving to different technology with the 3. Does anyone know if they are planning a big version of the 3?

Last edited:
I just saw a Kindle DX (?). Daylight readable with sun near sunset. Approach charts seem just slightly larger than the paper version.

Seems like the guy got the charts from PDF Chart, PDF Plates or something like that.

Last edited:
My iPad seems to work great even in bright sunlight. Note that the default setting for the brightness is "auto", which means it adjusts based on the ambient light, but is generally "uselessly dim" when running on batteries outdoors. The fix is to turn the auto setting off, and just manually dim it when you're indoors. On the bright setting, it works much better in daylight. In the cockpit you can have power available so battery life isn't an issue, although I still seem to get a full day out of mine even when it's turned up.

I cannot speak for the other units but I flew an iPad 1 across the entire country. Yes, the screen brightness is not ideal in direct sunlight but it is definitely usable. Sometimes you will have to angle it just so. I have not tried the "full bright" trick as Snowflake has mentioned so that might even improve it further.

With the popularity of the iPad, and the cheap price for the original model, I don't think you could go wrong there. The wife would also enjoy the many other options the iPad is capable of doing.

If you decide to go the iPad route, the 3G version is a must for flight apps.

You guys are swaying me toward the IPad....Does the original one have a real GPS inside?

Yep. I use skychartspro. A $20 app that follows you along on whatever chart you choose, IFR, VFR, TAC, etc etc. The 3G version does not require a gps dongle....it's built in.