lr172

Well Known Member
I am now assembling my O-320, but it will not be run for six months. My plan was to fully coat each steel part with oil to avoid corrosion. Cylinder walls will also get a good coating of oil.

I know different oils types / viscosities cling at different rates. Can someone recommend an oil type that will "hang on" for six months? I am guessing it is a high viscoisity straight weight. I will fill it with a mineral oil for it's first run.

Thanks,

Larry

Use a preservative oil such as this anti-rust oil from Phillips. It's noticeably "stickier" than the regular oil. Shell produces one too although I have no experience with the Shell product.

You'll be using it straight but I add one-half quart to the engine oil in my Long-EZ's O235 during the winter when I don't fly often enough.

--
Joe

50/50 mix of STP and Phillips X/C works fine. If you plug the breather and cover the exhaust ports you won't have any problems with rust.

50/50 mix of STP and Phillips X/C works fine. If you plug the breather and cover the exhaust ports you won't have any problems with rust.

That's what the tech guys from Lycoming recommended at their dis-assembly/re-assembly forum they had at Oshkosh a few years ago.

Yep.

Yes we use a 30% STP, #30% Phillips X/C, and 30% mix of LPS-3,.
Then use our best assembly lube on all the usual places. Fit and check everything, then take a 1/2"- 3/4" art brush "I like natural hair brushes" and paint every inch, two sometimes three coats even over the assembly lube spots as we put it all together. "Pickled from the inside out" This will hold one far a long time. I have had them set for as long as ten years. pull a cover off look inside and be just fine. Hope this helps.
Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888