UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - last time I went flying I noticed that my oil filler tube was slightly loose. While it is not leaking now, I want to fix this before it starts to leak.

If I remember correctly, when I installed it I did not use a gasket and just used Permatex #2.

Is there a better way to do this (Proseal, order the indicated gasket)?

FYI - I think I caused the problem by over-tightening the dipstick....

Thanks,
Jason

Yes. Use a REAL brand gasket. They are thick, orange, and will solve your problem. The archives should have a direct link. That's how I found mine.

REAL Gaskets part# RG-72059
rg-72059.jpg

$3 each http://www.realgaskets.com/files/horizontal.htm

I've had very good luck using an ordinary O-ring of the right diameter to fit over the threaded end of the tube (standard buna-n nitrile rubber o-ring material)

A tip I received on here was to safety the filler tube in both directions. This way if you tighten the cap a bit too much the tube will no tighten due to the safety wire. The tightening and loosening will form a leak over time.

I can not comment on the REAL brand gasket but the standard factory one has creep ( permanent deformation with time under load) over the first three oil changes. I talked to several well known engine builders and they said that after the third time of snugging up and rewiring, it would stay (not leak) until overhaul.

I can not verify this from personal experience, but that is what some very well know guys told me.

If the REAL brand does not creep, then I will get one before flying!!

The plain old O-ring has been on mine for over 2 years now, and hasn't leaked a drop since I put it on. The original thin flat paper gasket was leaking like a sieve when I bought the plane.