Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Yesterday I started a poll about Fliers and Builders - and those who are both! I'm definitely one who built because I wanted the perfect airplane (by my definition) to fly - but I really, really enjoy building as well. The answer? Have one that is flying, and one that you're working on!

So yesterday I went out to the hangar to work on the wiring clean-up on Louise's RV-6, in preparation for the panel transplant, and after a good five hours of work, I put down the tools, walked down to the Val's temporary hangar, saddled up - and went for a wonderfully stress-relieving 40-minute flight. As I was climbing out, I realized that I still had my camera in my pocket, and I thought "I wonder how video would turn out (never having tried it with this camera...)?"

Have a look here! (yeah, it's a bit cheesy, and Groucho has NOTHING to be afraid of - but this was my first attempt at much editing and adding music...) You try flying with one hand and holding the camera with the other...

The best of both worlds - and enough aviation enjoyment to make me wonder why I ever leave the airport....can't wait for that new home in the Hill Country - some day!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
RE:.....Envy.....but I got hair

Paul

Great video......I really envy you guys out there flying while I am in a cold southwest US garage finishing those last details before that trip to the airport..........but still no hangar in sight. For me it seems finding a hangar is going to be more difficult than the TANKS:eek:

So keep those vidoes coming and stories also to keep my spirits up!:D

Oh ya sorry about the hair comment ...what I meant to say is you need a hat or you might get a sun burn...ya that it..that what I meant...really!!!!!

Frank @ SGU RV7A the light at the end of the tunnel is getting larger!!!

Last edited:
Wow Paul! That is way better, technically and artistically, than any of the good stuff you took with the little externally mounted bullet camera. Makes me think I need to look at my similar camera in a new light.

I don't know how you got such solid mounting and good aiming by just putting that little camera in different spots.

I got a little lost there at one point. It looked like half an outside loop or something. I know you have a carb.

snip...I don't know how you got such solid mounting and good aiming by just putting that little camera in different spots....snip

Larry,

I can't speak for Paul, but one thing I've been using lately (it was a gift from Mercedes on her recent trip to Texas) is a 'Gorillapod'.

gorillapod-family-small.jpg

More at: http://www.joby.com/

Mounting?!

Hey, that's a novel idea....:D

This was a combination of handheld (you can tell when) and hand holding it on some fuzzy velcro patches I have on the glareshield. And yup - it's a remarkable video camera - for a still camera. I've already got a design for a $0.10 platform/mount in my head - but have to get back to work on Mikey's panel first...

Paul

Oh, and just in case you think we are all idiots, we DO get the musical reference.

Nose hair trim

Paul: Tracy, my bride (whom you met at LOA 07), is always very careful to keep me well-groomed, and in particular because we "older guys" have a tendency to start sprouting nasal and ear hair. Those less fortunate souls who have no one to care for them are often seen in such condition. We watched your awesome aerobatic production, and she commented on your neat apppearance, in particular with the nose..... Good job, Louise!!!!
Tom Navar
Pitts S2A (enjoying the acro)
RV-8QB (Tackling the P4 hinge on the flaps)

The Borg are back.....

I don't know....Piccard as a Borg? Or Christopher Plummer as a Klingon General spoutign Shakespeare in "the Undiscovered Country"?:rolleyes:

That's what I get for getting my "Mission Haircut" and then taking my own picture....:eek:

Glad you're all enjoying the video!

Paul

Last edited:
ive seen,,,

I've seen Paul.
I've met Paul.
Paul has threads in his scull................ no big deal...............?.

Bravo, Bravo! I just love the smell of avgas in the morning! :D I don't think Francis Ford Coppola has too much to worry about but THAT was sure fun to watch! When can we expect the sequel? :)

Breakfast...

.......video of Paul doing IFR/EFIS acro is too cool....beautiful video, Paul, thanks. First realtime EFIS roll I've seen.

Groucho, some one-upmanship maybe:D???

I got a little lost there at one point. It looked like half an outside loop or something. I know you have a carb.

No outside loops Larry - I don't want to make that kind of a mess....:rolleyes:

I think the editing fooled you - I went from the camera pointed fore and aft to a shot with it pointed out the right wing, then did a roll....it takes a second for your mind to realize you're suddenly looking 90 degrees out.

Paul

Wow Paul.... you look as cool and calm as Groucho. Nice video. Also been looking for a camera for my son for CHristmas. THis might be a good choice. Then I can borrow when I want it. :D

Flight of The Valkyrie

Great Video, Paul! I really enjoyed watching it. Now you may not believe this, but while I was on TDY last week at Dryden, I thought of that piece of music (Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries) and your airplane, and honestly had the thought that you should make a video with that music in the background.
How neat!
I also noticed how neat the QT Halo headset stayed in place during the acro! Way cool.
By the way, when I Googled "Flight of the Valkyries," the following link came up. So, since it is another version of a "Flight of the Valkyries," I'm hoping Doug won't mind. You could say there's some "hot doggin' acro" going on! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJNiBgWovo

Don

P.S. If I've hijacked this thread, somebody please delete the link above!

Larry,

I can't speak for Paul, but one thing I've been using lately (it was a gift from Mercedes on her recent trip to Texas) is a 'Gorillapod'.

gorillapod-family-small.jpg

More at: http://www.joby.com/
Doug,

Today REI sent me an email and these are on sale for $22.95.

Here's the link: http://www.rei.com/product/742238

This made me think, since my glair shield is all Velcro, I can stick my camera up there for a flight or two.

PS. Great flick Paul! Keep 'em comming!

Canon SD800IS

I ordered the GorrillaPod that Doug used and decided to try it yesterday afternoon with my little Canon SD800IS. I don't know how you did it Doug. I couldn't figure out a way to get the mounting firm enough, the problem being you have to wrap around the camera down to the tripod mounting hole from the handle, above.

Oh well, it's a beautiful sunny afternoon; might as well go fly. Since I had the camera anyway I decided to see how the video works. I have a 1GB card so I had about 8 minutes of video to play with. With my airplane it is not really practical to velcro it to anything, as Paul Dye did, so I just held it bracing my hand on whatever was near. What seemed to work best was resting my right arm on the passenger side seat back aiming the camera to the right.

I learned several things. This little camera takes video way better than what you can put on YouTube, so it is fine for that. I had the image stabilization on, and that works great for stills in turbulence, but for the video I think that amplifies the bumps. Highest quality is not necessary. After you compress 8 GB down to 45 MB for YouTube all the quality is gone anyway. If you take video through the windscreen, you should clean the bugs off. For the quality purposes of YouTube and picking the right calm day and sun angles, I think one could make a fine video with this little still camera.

Unlike Paul, I'm not sure I could get real comfortable doing aerobatics holding it, especially since I have a fixed pitch prop but for scenic stuff it is pretty dandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5DKEmTQ7A

Last edited:
We liked it!

Nice video Larry, and a great tour of the Guad caves! Louise kept saying just how much she missed the territory as we watched...

And I don't think I'd enjoy one-handed acro with a fixed pitch prop myself!

Paul

Last edited:
west Texas

Larry,

Fun flight, thanks for sharing. I see some familiar places.
Will you join us in February for the Big Bend Ranch "freezzee our tails off" fly in-camp out? President weekend Feb 20 ish??? Hope so...,? I want to pick your brain about more fun plases to visit.

Thanks
Jay

Larry,

Fun flight, thanks for sharing. I see some familiar places.
Will you join us in February for the Big Bend Ranch "freezzee our tails off" fly in-camp out? President weekend Feb 20 ish??? Hope so...,? I want to pick your brain about more fun plases to visit.

Thanks
Jay
Yeh, Jay, I think I have seen pictures of some of your airplanes in some of those places.

I'm not sure about Big Bend Ranch, although I made it last year and don't remember you being there. http://n5lp.net/BBSP.htm

If Chase gets them to sweep the runway, who knows?

It looks like the campground may be the place to be this year?

...I had the image stabilization on, and that works great for stills in turbulence, but for the video I think that amplifies the bumps...
What idiot wrote that? Oh, I guess that would be me.

I took the little pocket camera up again on Christmas Eve and tried it first with IS off. As bad as the stabilized stuff is in our persistent winter bumpiness, with stabilization off it is just completely unwatchable, so even if it isn't optimized for video it helps a whole lot.

This video and my previous one is just looking out the window at the kinds of things I would typically show people on a ride, a whole different deal than the aerobatic videos. As frustrating as the poor quality of YouTube is, it is kind of fun doing these little deals with a budget of $8, excluding aircraft expense, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D38oEP2ILzg

Thanks, Larry!

I sure do miss flying around that country and you showed many of my favorite sites/sights in the two videos.

Just you wait!

Bullet cam plus inverted fuel and oil videos are on the horizon!

IFR acro....Yes my safety pilot (we were out practicing a few approaches) was a little alarmed at my aileron roll while under the hood....:)

Frank