RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I was looking over the ICOM radio I have and it has parts to make the connection with a MOLEX type connector. This got me to thinking what most guys think are the best type of connectors for multi-pin connections, molex, D-sub,..? I am not even close to my panel work but I am laid up and can't build so to keep my mind in the project I have come up with this question. I want to set up the radio in the shop.

Cheers

Molex, made by AMP work fine, I really like the gold pin crimp sub-D's but your limited by wire gauge. My entire air frame is set up using Sub-D and AMP connectors....Everything so far has been "smoke" free.:D

Ahh, connectors. One of any good geek's favorite things. I'm guilty. I've been using "Microfit 3.0" in many low current locations. I have the production crimp tool that makes installation just so easy I have to have a reason to use something else. I'll probably experiment with some of the others mentioned here in the next build just for fun.

Yep . . .

Scott's right. A very rewarding discussion for the inner geek.

I hate Molex. I have personally seen unacceptable failure modes in heavy truck (parking brakes at speed) using molex connectors, manufacted by AMP.

Packard 150 metri-pack series for powering stuff and Deutch DT or DTM sealed for anything under the cowl and signal level stuff. Digi-key, mouser, wherever - in my case, it means the supply cabinet in the lab ;). In any case, they always have a positive mating lock, and can be saftied with a zip-tie. Generally, they all have secondary pin locks as well.

Regardless, strain relief is the best thing you can do for connector reliability, IMO.

Rick 90432 - running *^&$#$&^%#!!!! conduit through the wing.