Low n Slow

Well Known Member
My partner had a brake failure after a complete loss of brake fluid, (thankfully while only taxing) so we?re replacing our nylon brake lines with Bonaco Teflon hoses.

When we removed the gear fairings the Teflon tape that had attached the lines to the gear legs fell out of the bottom, having lost their adhesive long ago.

I?ve seen what looks like that strong packing tape with fibers on other RV gear legs and was wondering how long this type of tape would last. Has anyone had long term success with this stuff or are tie wraps the preferred method?

Thanks!

I'm interested in that one too. The taper on the legs can't help things stay up?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Details!

I'm interested in that one too. The taper on the legs can't help things stay up?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Details!
Maybe most people don?t even bother to attach their brake lines to their gear legs at all?

I think they should be so I called Van?s. I just wanted to let you know that Van?s recommended using electrical tape.

Maybe most people don?t even bother to attach their brake lines to their gear legs at all?

I think they should be so I called Van?s. I just wanted to let you know that Van?s recommended using electrical tape.

And then place this on your inspection list.

Duct tape and spiral wrap for me

My partner had a brake failure after a complete loss of brake fluid, (thankfully while only taxing) so we?re replacing our nylon brake lines with Bonaco Teflon hoses.

When we removed the gear fairings the Teflon tape that had attached the lines to the gear legs fell out of the bottom, having lost their adhesive long ago.

I?ve seen what looks like that strong packing tape with fibers on other RV gear legs and was wondering how long this type of tape would last. Has anyone had long term success with this stuff or are tie wraps the preferred method?

Thanks!

I attached mine with some wraps of duct tape. To protect against chafing, I first put some lenghs of spiral wrap on the brake lines, then used the duct tape. While not the prettiest solution, the tape held up for months of flying sans fairings. :)

Fiberglass reinforced tape

I used fiberglass reinforced tape. The tubes were spaced off the gear leg with short lengths of tygon tubing sliced lengthwise to slip over the brake line. Then the tygon tube is actually taped to the gear leg, not the brake line itself. No problems in 550 hours.

I used hoses (Earls Performance) with SS braid on the outside for my brake lines, insted of alum. or Van's plastic tubing. Cut several strips of Nylok plastic tubing, about 1" or so. Slid these strips about 12" apart over the brake lines and secured to the gear leg with tie wraps. Since the gear legs are tapered I wrapped the gear legs under the nylock strips with electicians tape so the tie wraps would have something to grip....and not cut into gear leg paint and lead to corrosion.

200 hrs, so far so good.

Warren Moore
RV-4

Give me a Brake...

Electrician's bundling tape, Home Depot Aviation (electrical) dept. My Teflon lines on my RV4 started leaking after 5 years and I replaced them with SS braided lines throughout from a local Parker hose distributor (much cheaper). The Electrical Bundling tape looks like Duct tape but is water resistant, leaves no goo and stretches as you wrap it.

Used and tested good on my RV4 and now my HR2...

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
A few wraps of electrical tape, and then segments of rtv fillets between the line and the gear leg to keep things behaved. Might not work for plastic lines as it probably won't stick.

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally attached our brake lines today. We had decided against Vans suggestion of electrical tape as we?ve both seen it creep over time and leave that ungodly mess in its wake.

I was going to use filament tape, but decided to go with smokeyray?s suggestion of bundling tape. I used one tie wrap on the bottom position where the line makes the bend to the brake to relieve the pressure on the tape.

The gear fairings were originally mounted with pop-rivets which I?m replacing with nutplates in order to check the condition of lines and tape during the annual inspection.

Also add me to the list of very satisfied customers of Bonaco hoses. We bought the AN-3 braded lines with the plastic exterior. Brett?s quality and fast shipping was top notch!

We had replaced the fittings at the brake to stop leaks soon after we bought the plane, but in a few months they were back and this was not the cause of our total brake failure. I hope no one?s still building their RV?s with the nylon hoses and fittings Van?s sells, what a cluster-____.