bruceh

Well Known Member
Friend
I bought 2 of the Safeair firewall pass-thru's. One will take the power/starter wires and the other side will have the engine sensor wires.

I positioned this so that the flange on the interior has a 1" clearance from the upper angle and instrument panel ribs. Here is a picture of what I've mapped out with my sharpie.

IMG2269-M.jpg

Before I start drilling, what is the concensus on the best location on both sides for these pass-thru's? Is this location good or should I move it?

That is almost exactly where I installed mine and the location has worked out perfectly.

Locating firewall pass throughs as close to the motor mount bolts to airframe will allow you to run wires along the mount tubing to the corner and allow greater access to the items that need to be serviced...... oil fiter, mags, battery, oil screen... in lower sump,, etc, etc.

The mount tubing is already in the way, so why not?

I have...

.... made an access-hole in the fwd-deck. Therefore I'll make the FF pass-through(s) in the center.

But if you're not installing an acess-hole, then the corners close to the engine-mounts is a good idea.

I chose to install the acess-hole after seeing the idea here on the forum.

I have not the acess-hole on my first RV.
After the plane was done, I had to crawl underneath the panel twice, and that was NOT fun....

Since I'm not getting any younger, I chose to install the acess-hole on my second RV.

Me too

That's where I put mine - one on each side. Worked out great, can run along engine mount and be clamped with cushioned adels . . .