Thank you to all of you fortunate people who have taken the time to share your Oshkosh experiences. I have enjoyed reading the blogs from AVWEB, Bob Miller (Over The Airways dot Com fame) and of course Bob Collins. The reports on the new avionics, light sport aircraft, VLJ's etc. (almost) make us feel as though we are there. With all that said my favorite quote comes from Bob Collins:

Dear Lord:

If I ever start making the old man noises that the guy in the Port-A-Potty next to me is making, please kill me.

Amen

In addition to being funny let this message serve as the reminder to all of us that we should make it to AIRPLANE MECCA while we still can "Poop in Peace".

Saw this one in a porta-potty at Oshkosh

I saw this one written with permanent marker inside a plastic porta-potty at Oshkosh several years ago:

I could have have been a Lancair

It put a smile on my face. My plastic airplane building friends just shrug their shoulders when I tell the story.

Last edited:
Don't forget: It's called the Porta-Potty Prayer (although, perhaps Psalm also works for the alliteration).

I just got home this morning after driving all night (and stopping to sleep in a rest area for two hours), after getting the phone call during the Jeff Dunham show that my son had been robbed at gunpoint, and I've got some new inspiration for a new prayer -- the prayer for the multi-ply toilet paper.

But maybe I'll save that to next year.

Don't forget: It's called the Porta-Potty Prayer (although, perhaps Psalm also works for the alliteration).

I just got home this morning after driving all night (and stopping to sleep in a rest area for two hours), after getting the phone call during the Jeff Dunham show that my son had been robbed at gunpoint, and I've got some new inspiration for a new prayer -- the prayer for the multi-ply toilet paper.

But maybe I'll save that to next year.

That's not good! Hope everything will be alright!

I realize that paragraph makes it sound like my kid getting robbed at gunpoint was the inspiration for a prayer on toilet paper. Whoops.

I guess everything is Ok but both kids and the wife are giving me grief for coming home. "What do you think you can do here?" seems to be the common refrain. The brain says they're right, of course. The heart says something quite different.

I've been a father for 23 years. This is one of those days when I'm thinking I still don't know how to do it right.

Oh well, I'm spending the day restocking supplies, cleaning the tent, and repacking things for Oshkosh 2009, so I can just load it up and go.

I realize that paragraph makes it sound like my kid getting robbed at gunpoint was the inspiration for a prayer on toilet paper. Whoops.

I guess everything is Ok but both kids and the wife are giving me grief for coming home. "What do you think you can do here?" seems to be the common refrain. The brain says they're right, of course. The heart says something quite different.

I've been a father for 23 years. This is one of those days when I'm thinking I still don't know how to do it right.

Oh well, I'm spending the day restocking supplies, cleaning the tent, and repacking things for Oshkosh 2009, so I can just load it up and go.

Bob,
I've been a father for 22 years, and according to my ex and my daughter I didn't do ANYTHING right! Kids don't come with instruction manuals (like we'd read them anyway), so all we can do is what our hearts tell us is right. Don't sweat it, you did the right thing.

They may not ever admit it openly, but trust me, they will ALWAYS remember that you came home from OSHKOSH to be with them during this time, and it WILL make a difference to them.

All the best,

Bob-

I heard the news as part of a side conversation last night. I'm glad everything is okay. Sorry we missed your departure.

Thank you so much for coming to OSH this year, for "holding" our site in Scholler, and for not casting judgement at our pile of empty beer bottles!

See you next year!

Joe

Bob,

I've been a father for 30+ years. Didn't talk much with the kids when they were 21-27, they thought I was pretty stupid, old fashioned, strict, and overbearing. Now, they think I'm getting smarter and ask for advice all the time, (Now I'm starting to question their wisdom. ;)) and they thank me for keeping them on the straight and narrow.

Last edited:
Here is a quote that an Aussie friend of mine heard in a Port-O-Let a few years ago.

Apparently there were a couple of gents in the units on either side of my friend. In doing his business, his neighbor to the left expelled massive amounts of flatulence with a rather abrupt report, to which his neighbor to the right said, "Richen her up......she'll start!"

My Aussie friend was laughing about that for hours..........