plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
There is a similar thread going for Blackberry and it was taking a turn to iPhone so I thought I would start an iPhone specific thread.

The aviation applications/websites I use most often on may iPhone are
weathermeister.com - I do not even use the mobil version as I think the iPhone scrolling works great and the 3G connection is fast.
Air Sharing application - It allows you to use your iPhone like a thumb drive so I store my POH and all the pdf manuals (like GPS, AoA, and Comm) so I have instant access to look up something.
weather channel application - its free and has a great color radar screen that you can pan and zoom.
PilotFAR and PilotAIM - these applications cost $4.99 a peice but I got an iTunes gift card for Christmas so decided to get these. They are great to have if you need to look up a lot of stuff as they are searchable

Of coarse there are lots of misc applications that may be of use in a pinch when building like levels, rulers, calculators, conversions, etc.

SkyCharts

Check out SkyCharts in the appstore. Cacheable, scrollable sectional maps with airport diagrams and AFD info. Very nice!

It makes a nice backup and a good flight planning reference. The developer posts here occasionally and is flight instructor at Van's home field.

Weather Underground.

http://pilotbrad.com/iphone-resources/

I am still looking for a good radar site. Now using Weathermeister, AeroWeather and AccuWeather.

David

www.wunderground.com - Takes airport codes and cities. Get radar, metar, fa, etc, etc.

It will detect iphone and format the screen friendly. I added my base airport to the home screen, so I'm one click away from all the above. Also works well on crackberry or windows-immobile.

Don

ForeFlight

There are several apps from the ForeFlight guys:

ForeFlight: A little pricey, but pretty cool electronic AFD that includes weather and allows filing flight plans ($75)
ForeFlight Checklist: never used it, but might be handy ($15)
ForeFlight File: Just the flight planning portion of ForeFlight ($5)

jason
RV-7 N4VR (Empennage)
http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7

SkyCharts 1.4.3.1 is now available on AppStore as an update (or purchase of course).

Besides sectional charts, AF/D's and TPP's its now faster on chart lat/long look ups and it also lets you call the ASOS/AWOS/ATIS if there is a phone number in the FADDS data.

SkyCharts caches whatever you do so it works offline as well.