Mohammed

Patron
Hello,

I am about to order my emp kit and I am wondering which is the best way for shipping international orders for either emp or larger kits parts like wings and fuselage. Shipping those boxes by air may cost a fortune but on the other hand shipping by sea takes forever. Also is there any risk of corrosion if shipped by sea?

I am curious to hear others experiances specially from Asia and Australia on this issue.

Regards

AUSTRALIA

Hello Mohammed,

I let Van's arrange the freight. The Van's freight company's local agent in Australia contacted me once it arrived in Sydney and I paid them to arrange customs and quarantine clearance, and forwarding to my address about 160km north of Sydney.

I arranged a forklift at home to unload the big boxes from the truck.

I used the same process for shipping the engine from Aerosport in Canada.

No damage, corrosion or missing parts.

Probably I could save a few dollars by arranging freight, customs & quarantine myself, but the savings would be small, and the inconvenience large.

Regards,

Bob Redman

My Experience

Hi Mohammed,

Vans arranged the shipping of the empennage, wings, fuselage and finish kits at the same time. It all came by sea with no problems or damage. It was pain-free.

The dimensions and weights are here http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/weights.pdf

I enagaged an agent in Adelaide to manage all the paperwork at this end for customs clearance, payment of import duties and General Services Tax. This made this part really painless. I hired a large flat bed trailer and collected it from the freight depot in Adelaide. They loaded the crates by fork lift. I was able to unload them at home with the assistance of a couple of pairs of strong arms.

I see no reason not to follow the same process when it comes time for the avionics and the engine.

All the best with your build, looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Cheers :)

Erik

Aust Supplier

Hey Moh,

go to these guys. They are an Australia company that ships stuff from US to Oz

http://www.usatoaus.com/buy.aspx

Talk to Indy, they are a good family business and will ship Vans stuff in the empty space left over from shipping a car. They are competitive and do Vans stuff all the time.

Hi Mohammed
As you are in Riyad, Saudi Arabia the local Australian customs agents and shipping company may not be whaT YOU ARE AFTER.
AS SAID ABOVE VAN'S OFFICE/COMPANY SHIP ALL OVER THE WORLD AND ARE EXCELLENT (sorry for capital letters - hit caps lock by mistake).
There is no problem with corrosion shipping by sea.
Most dangerous is the forklift driver at destination unloading the container - I suggest you be there for the unload if you can.
Good luck with the build.
John
Melbourne
Australia

Shipping

I had Van's (Barb and Anne) arrange all the shipping of my QB to Switzerland and they did a perfect job. Just let them know what you want, where you are, get out the CC and it will be fine.

Please keep us posted - very interesting to hear about a builder in SA!

Don't discount shipping by air. Some of the kits are light but large volume and no different, or even cheaper, by air.

Dumb Australians

Who would of thought that he was talkin about something other than the Pacific :)

Shipping

Does Saudi Arabia even have or allow Private aviation? since there are no private airports that I am aware of where would you hanger it? Unless things have changed a lot since I lived there many years ago,airports were not Evan shown on any city/country maps.

I have a story for you Mohammed I'll tell you in two-three weeks. I helped to coordinate an RV kit shipment to a third country (not Russia) and it was such an experience. Vans people are the best! Shippers, well, it's another story.

Mohammed

I don't want to get political here, but I am not sure that now is the right time to be thinking about importing a US homebuild. Maybe there are other issues that need to be resolved first.....

I had all my (standard build) packs plus the engine/prop air-freighted to the UK from Van's. Barb organised it and got a preferential rate with Bax/Schenken and it all seemed very reasonable with door to door service and everything arrived intact.

I think surface shipping would not have saved anything unless I was sharing a container, and would have more risk, more organisation and taken longer.

Thank you all guys for the responses... specially the Aussies :)
One question for you though.. how long does it take usually from the time Vans ship out until you get the kit if shipping by sea??

@Allan.. private or sport aviation does exist here but very limited and not main stream.. we do have relatively big paramotors and UL community.. there is an aviation club just outside of Riyadh where I could hangar and fly from (I assume).. things are slowly improving, slow but improving nevertheless.

@vlad.. can't wait to hear your story :)

@Paul I don't want get political either but i don't see any real problem :confused:

@Mark thank you for the tip. I'll ask for both air and sea quotes and compare

I have a story for you Mohammed I'll tell you in two-three weeks. I helped to coordinate an RV kit shipment to a third country (not Russia) and it was such an experience. Vans people are the best! Shippers, well, it's another story.

Vlad,
Make sure you post your story here, as you have the most interesting posts on this site.
Waiting,
Mark

Thank you all guys for the responses... specially the Aussies :)
One question for you though.. how long does it take usually from the time Vans ship out until you get the kit if shipping by sea??

@Allan.. private or sport aviation does exist here but very limited and not main stream.. we do have relatively big paramotors and UL community.. there is an aviation club just outside of Riyadh where I could hangar and fly from (I assume).. things are slowly improving, slow but improving nevertheless.

@vlad.. can't wait to hear your story :)

@Paul I don't want get political either but i don't see any real problem :confused:

@Mark thank you for the tip. I'll ask for both air and sea quotes and compare

Hi Mohammed

I found the shipping process easy. Vans do a great job in preparing and crating the shipment. A couple of things though:

Check if there are import requirements with regards timber. To get it into Australia you need to make sure the timber has been dressed and meets quarantine standards. Otherwise you will get charged for fumigating it prior to release.

Find out what documents are required by customs. You don't want to have the kit held while you get the missing paperwork organised. If you inform Vans with regards to any special requirements they are so helpfull I am sure they will produce whatever you might need.

The feight costs for each of the sub kits is roughly the same as shipping all of them together. So if you can afford the whole kit you will save on the shipping.

Don't get the engine till you are ready for it because it is not at all good for the motor to sit for years waiting to be installed. (Your warrantee will also disappear)

Make sure you keep all of your paperwork. Some builders (including me) in Australia were audited by customs. In my case 3 years after importing the kit.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jim

And here it is !!

IMG_20110919_0037161.jpg

Actually it had arrived last week on 17th two days before the estimated delivery date but I was busy setting up my buildlog website

So excited !!