WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I am ready to have a big serving of ribs :eek:
After fluting the first one (of 56), I am wondering if there is a best way to do the fluting. For example, where to start: at the end or in the middle. Then from there, how to progress: again from the middle or the end, etc...
I also had an interesting problem: after straightening one side, the other side looks like it needed "defluting" although I had not fluted anything on its flange...
Another thing, what about warping? What should I do if I get a warped rib, should I try to unwarp it by twisting it or should I rework the fluting?
I am sure that after a few tries all will become clear but, why not used your tries to minimize mine? :D

I also watched the Gilmore video before fluting and started the way he did it but this method takes hours. After a few ribs you know were to place the flutes and without checking on a flat table you get the straithening within a 1/8". Thereafter I placed the rib on the table and corrected the ribs. If both sides are (almost) straight some ribs will still warp but that doesn't give any problem when placing the skins.
Don't spend too much time trying to make them perfect.

Kudos to Alan Guilmore!

This video is a great teaching tool. Could not ask for more. With practice it's possible to improve on the technique as Gagarin explained but Alan provides the foundation to build skills on. Thanks Alan for taking the time to share.

Alan -

Thanks for the videos - they help me understand the right way to do it.

I am interested to know how your RV-12 build is progressing - are you flying by now? It would be good to hear from you - best regards to you, Ed Eliot:cool: