Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
What's the best heat shield material to use on the inside of the cowling? I'll epoxy it and paint it, then want to put down some of the reflective material...but want to use the best material.

TIA!

Steve

It's hard to believe

how well plain old aluminum tape from the Home Depot aviation isle works. In addition, it's easy to custom fit whatever area needs covering. I touch mine up at each condition inspection, but it's really only for cosmetic purposes.

Local auto-parts store

I use the heat shields sold at the local auto-parts store --- on the -10 and -8A, they have worked great!

This is what Dan Horton suggested I use. FiberFrax 1/16 thick mat from Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/fiberfrax.php
and the put Vans foil over the top. Cut the fiberfrax 2 inches smaller than the foil all the way around so the adhesive on the foil will have something to stick to. I brushed on a coat of epoxy resin all around the edges to seal it up. So far it has worked great. I had an exhaust pipe move and touch the cowl exit on a hour flight and it did no damage to the cowl.

I used this Cowl Heat Protector from Van's.

To apply it, I used a wall paper seam roller. Here are a couple of pictures:
IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG