rossdn

I'm New Here
Hi all,
would appreciate some figures for climb rates and best climb speed for the RV8. I'm interested in all configurations, but particularly 0-320 fixed pitch.
Climb RPM's and pitch would be handy too.
We've just started test flying MRM and initially getting 2200 rpm on climb out and 1100-1200 fpm, which probably points to our prop being a little coarse..

Cheers
Ross

More speed.

Ross, our -6A had a three-bladed Catto pitched for max cruise and we only got 2200 static on takeoff.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the climb rate at 140 MPH or thereabouts.

Then try 160 MPH as well....she should still be near 1,000 FPM because the higher RPM will make more horsepower.

Best,

Hi all,
would appreciate some figures for climb rates and best climb speed for the RV8. I'm interested in all configurations, but particularly 0-320 fixed pitch.
We've just started test flying MRM and initially getting 2200 rpm on climb out and 1100-1200 fpm, which probably points to our prop being a little coarse..

Cheers
Ross

RV-6, O-320, Sensenich metal 70"x80", empty wt 1010lbs

Rotation, 2270rpm, 50kts

Initial climb, 2350 rpm, 90kts, rate will vary with weight and density altitude

Climb when clear of the pattern, 2400 rpm, 120 kts, usually around 1000 fpm

Prop redline @ 2600 rpm, 162 kts TAS, 5000' DA

Once out of the pattern let your RV-8 climb at 75% of cruise speed so the engine can produce more power.

Thanks for that... It seems we're not too far off the mark then, will try the higher climb speeds..

Hi all,

Cheers
Ross

Ross,
Your rate of climb numbers are going to be highly dependant on the days density altitude and on your flying weight. You will see a large variation from solo and cool to gross and hot, so use comparison numbers appropriately.

Since I run a Hartzell my numbers may not help you much. Vy is actually pretty low. I generally climb faster (say 100 knots) in order to cool better and to see!