carrollcw

Well Known Member
Hey all, I am a brand new about to be builder of an RV-7. In the plans, Vans recommends a bunch of different books. Have any of you guys read them? Are they all necessary or are a few especially good?

Also, have any of you reviewed any good DVD's such as the RV Rudder Workshop?

Thanks for the advice. Anxious to get started!

The EAA class will give you 20x the confidence the videos will. This is coming from someone that watched almost all them before the class.

Welcome to VAF, Clark! It's a great group of people here, and there's a cubic b-load of useful info for your build. I think I've read every book and seen every video, and they've all helped somewhat, but I agree with Rick and believe nothing beats a hands-on class. I enjoyed Synergy Air's, but the EAA ones have a great reputation as well.

--
Stephen

Since you're in Friendswood, maybe you could try to hop a RV ride with Paul or
Louise to go work on RV-1 this weekend. Have someone there give a quick riveting demo/practice session. It would be a great way to jump start your building motivation.

Friends of RV-1

RV rudder workshop

I just started my empannage kit last week. I have it all clecoe'd together, waiting for the correct drill bits to start match drilling. I ordered the homebuilthelp.com video of the RV Rudder Workshop. It came 2 days later and I think it is great. The help on the forum is the best way to move forward.

Good luck with your project.

rockwood

Hi Clark,

I purchased the RV Rudder Workshop video and I would say that it is helpful for the beginner. It doesn't go into all of the detail that is required to build an entire empennage though. I'd say for the money its worth it. He covers some of the basics of cutting metal, deburring and etc. Again this isn't a full coverage of the all of the techniques that are required, but helpful.

Thanks for all the good tips. I got ahold of Paul and am going to try to meet him this weekend.

I would love to do the EAA school, but I almost always work on the weekends, so that is out. Looks like I will get the DVD, a couple books, and hopefully not annoy Paul too much and I should be good to go!

Just got the notice that my tools from Planetools just shipped, so I should be putting together the training tool box soon! Can't wait!