hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I finished 40hrs of phase 1 yesterday. Today was my 50th Birthday, the weather was perfect, I had the day off AND Kris needed to turn in her 150page Master's portfolio to her Professor's. 2.5hr drive(one way) or short hop in a brandnew RV.....what to do, what to do? Kris has never ridden in any RV, only the nasty club 172, 182 and a friends Bonanza. She was eager to see what all the whoopla was about these RV's.

We launched at 1120 from Townsend(8u8) and in front of a few airport bums I flew down the runway at 120kts or so and pulled up for an initial 3000fpm climb, banking hard to the downwind. She swallowed and said well that's a little different. Headed toward KHLN, then pointed Aurora towards Missoula(MSO) while we climbed through some bumps leveled off at 10500 in smooth air.
Here's a pic she snapped with my cell phone.
IMG_20110420_114431.jpg

43minutes later made a nice wheel landing at MSO. Got the red carpet service at NorthStar Jet. they gave us a courtesy car to run to the University. We were very popular with her Professors as the word had spread that Kris had a private pilot fly her over just for them. :)

By the time we headed home the wind had picked up along with the turbulence. We hit a big sinker and I managed to smack the canopy, Kris had her belts good tight.
We ended up climbing above 13K for a few minutes to beat the bumps. Here's a dynon snapshot.
IMG_20110420_150057.jpg

And the corresponding GPS pic, GS=205kts Man I love this plane.
IMG_20110420_150105.jpg

When we started dropping into the valley, things got rough again and I had to slow up to 150kts. Kris loved the experience, said the plane felt very solid and safe. She even complimented me on the landings, even though we had a 10kt crosswind when we got home.

To top it off, we drove to Bozeman to have dinner with the Daughter and grandkids. Bison Ribeye is pretty good fare for a birthday dinner.
IMG_20110420_185459.jpg

Life is good, better after 40 and even at 50:)

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Great Day you had, thanks for sharing it with us.

Glad to hear your wife is into the plane.

Happy Half Century;)

Happy Birthday Brian! What a way to mark a Jubilee! Please post a picture with Kris in Ladies Who Like to Fly thread and thanks for sharing the moments of joy and turbulence :). I am right behind you. One more year to go before half-century:D

That is a great story Brian. Good to hear she enjoyed the flight and the RV.

And Happy Birthday too!

Dam(n) !

I'm sorry - I fell off of my chair when I read the original post, however as a dignified English Gentleman, I have emailed off list........... :eek:

p.s.

Happy Birthday YOF

Be Gentle on Newbies

I guess no one else wants to say it. As a fellow RVer, I know what a big moment it is to finally fly off the restrictions, and take the wife/girlfriend/etc for that first ride. Since it was her first exposure to the wonderful world of RVs, I think a gentle approach was in order. You know your lady the best, but there are plenty of RVers that can't even get their lady to fly with them.

As an airline pilot, I spent years trying to make the ride as much like the passenger's living room sofa as I could. Don't get me wrong, I love to yank and bank as much as anyone, and the Doll's G meter usually has +4 and -2 recorded on it. But..........there is a time and place for that.

I hope she will spend many more enjoyable hours flying with you. I'm really not trying to flame you. I'm writing this for the readers and lurkers more than for you.

Happy Birthday. I'm twelve years ahead of you and I'd gladly change places. Fifty is wonderful!

Last edited:
No problem Danny. She was ready for it. I had gave her a warning before that this is no 172. She will only fly on Blue Bird days, but doesn't mind a roller coaster if she knows it's coming. It's the surprises that bother her.

She's already planning our next trip.:)

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing.
Hope you can get over to Johnson Creek this summer.