Bavafa

Well Known Member
I need to replace some of the baffle material on my engine after about 400 hours and was wondering what is the best material to use. I have used the standard Vans supplied black rubber and it has held up pretty well with the exception that I think it has formed a curve to the point that is not sealing well against the cowl. I put a flash light inside and could see light coming thru then hooked up my vacuum shop as a blower and air was sipping thru, so I am thinking of replacing them.

Thoughts and ideas?

Thanks in advance

I used the orange stuff from Aircraft Spruce------like it:D

I have a lot left over if you want to stop by and get some to play with. Also have a lot of the black stuff from Vans if you want it.

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate it.
If you don't mind, I will stop by to check it out.

sent PM.

I noticed that the orange stuff comes in different thicknesses.

Which thickness is best?

Thinking of upgrading my baffle seals

I used the McFarlane material on both sides and across the back during my initial build. After almost 500 hours, its holding up well on the sides but deformed quite a bit on the back.

I replaced the McFarlane with the thinner silicone material that ACS sells. I also replaced the Vans material that I used on the front-center baffle. The thin ACS material is much heavier than the stuff from Vans. If you get the baffle material from Spruce, I see no reason to use the thick stuff.

Great Timing

I am at the baffle material time.
Baffles are on the engine but not trimmed yet.
Getting ready to start on cowling.
How much material needed.
Will the 3" do the job and if so how long of a piece.
Might as well do it improved the first time.

Baffle Seal

I go to the local rubber supply company and buy a square yard of 1/8" silicone. This allows the rear baffle piece to be cut on the curve. If you buy seal on a roll you will likely need to piece together the rear baffle seal.

3" roll

You'll have to cut it anyway in the center or else you won't be able to remove the baffle anymore. Takes very little trimming on a 3" piece.

IMG_2018.JPG