Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have subscribed to several for many years and they seem to be going flat. Where I used to read them from cover to cover I now scan some one time and maybe read one article before they enter the "maybe I'll read it later" pile. I still struggle through The RVator cover to cover. I savor the quality and depth of plane and people coverage in Jack and Golda Cox's Sportsman Pilot and I read every single word in it. Plane & Pilot is the best general coverage magazine with a very witty Editor and three talented column writers - especially Bud Davidson (spelling?). Pilot Getaways is an excellent magazine on private aircraft travel locations and it has survived longer than any other magazine of this type and they were very good as well - it's a shame but I just don't thing there is an adequate market. Amy Laboda is very good in Sport Aviation. Julie K. Boatman is technically the best in AOPA Pilot. "Wheels up" is the only reason I still buy Flying. What are your favorites today?

Bob Axsom

i really like sportsman pilot as well! i feel the same way about a lot of the mags, they are just not entertaining anymore. but, here are the one's i like...lynn freeman in plane & pilot is one of the funniest columnist out there! dick carl's column in flying always gets read, sometimes lane and les, but i don't care for the rest of the mag. private pilot is no more. pilot journal has some great coverage of aviation around the world (another lynn freeman pub). sport pilot is ok, but usually just read stuff that pertains to what i'm doing and the completions section. contact is a good alternative powerplant mag, but i don't read it cover to cover. kitplanes, i like, but they still sugarcoat to sell. i do read most of it. professional pilot is good, but even as a king air pilot, i feel it's outta my league. i do read rvator cover to cover. aopa pilot is ok, but it's not read like i used to read it. i do like barry schiff's column and rod machado. that man is a walking laugh factory!

i think that about sums me up.

Experimental Aircraft Technology

http://www.extechmag.com/ Experimental Aircraft Technology has some good articles. They are only published every other month, but I believe if everyone who reads this list subscribes, they'll probably switch to monthly!

My dad hands me a "Pilot Getaways" every now and then. He enjoys it. The getaways look too expensive for me.

I still make it cover to cover, forwards and back thru "Plane and Pilot." I always look for Bill Cox' since he's a fellow trumpet player. :)

Wow!!!

I checked out the website for Experimental Aircraft Technology magazine http://www.extechmag.com. I hope I'm not over reacting but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! It looks like it has what I have been missing. I am subscribing to it right now.

Bob Axsom

P.S. I tried the telephone number and got connected to an unidentified voice mail box that was full. I was able to leave a call back number. I certainly hope this works out. Because of the personal experience reflected earlier in this thread I have high hopes.

Last edited:
i subscribed to extech couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it!! oh, and i do like bill cox in p&p. his experience from around the world is simply amazing!

Bob Axsom said:
I have subscribed to several for many years and they seem to be going flat...................What are your favorites today?
Bob Axsom
I have to agree. "Flying" in the aggregate seems to focus on the high end turbine market. Perhaps that relatively small but well-heeled kerosene niche is more lucrative to the magazine for attracting serious advertising dollars to the bottom line. Only their accountants know for sure. "Private Pilot" is now defunct though its replacement "Pilot Journal" seems to have some promise. It does seem to want to cover all the bases from corporate to LSA. Much of it is a waste for me though. The look and feel of the magazine is a welcomed upgrade. "Kitplanes" has its moments though I find it tiresome when it wastes 2/3 of any given issue rehashing all the kits out there. For out and out satisfaction in aviation magazines, I tend to rely on "Air Classics" and "Air & Space." My favorite would have to be "Flight Journal." I enjoy reading its arcane facts of warbird history, operations, pilots, and daring-do missions from another time when a "hero" was truly a hero and the word not debased to accomodate today's run amok atmosphere of political correctness.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I guess Warbirds is a bit OT but I can't recall the name of a British Mag with great color pictures and articles on Warbirds. Expensive magazine so I only bought a few issues. About 5--10 yrs ago. And the pilots kept getting killed.

Flying - Lane Wallace. I caught her talk at OSH in '04.
Sport Aviation - Amy Laboda, Bud Davisson, Jack Cox, Ron Alexander

My order to Experimental Aircraft Tech Mag gets called in on Tuesday. Thanks for the tip, Mickey C. and Bob A. As noted by others, Sport Av seems to be getting away from the hands-on stories and Kitplanes publishes too many "lists" issues for my liking.

Logging big building hours this holiday week,
Steve

mark manda said:
I guess Warbirds is a bit OT but I can't recall the name of a British Mag with great color pictures and articles on Warbirds. Expensive magazine so I only bought a few issues. About 5--10 yrs ago. And the pilots kept getting killed.
That might be "Aeroplane" (http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com), a truly awesome magazine, especially for those who are into the history of aviation, as opposed to current stuff. It is my personal favourite, and a subscription is my permanent, recurring birthday present from my wife ;-)

I read AOPA pilot, and EAA Sport Aviation the most regularly. There are the occational good stories in Flying, but I just wait for someone to give the the back issues :). I think I'm going to subscribe to Expertimental Tech mag too, looks really good :).