cattflight

Well Known Member
I have been investigating avionics and engine instrumentation as I prepare my budget for my 9A build (I know, an airplane build budget is NOT a good idea! :eek:)

I have searched the forums extensively, looking at the varied day & night VFR, lite IFR and full-blown IFR panels and it got me wondering what the best "grow to" approach would be if I were to start basic VFR and work up to full IFR....for both budgetary and practical reasons.

For instance, I could start with a conventional six pack and eventually redeploy those instruments as backups to my ultimate EFIS PFD/MFD panel. Or go EFIS right out of the gate and install lower cost digital engine monitoring I would keep forever, and forego the backup instrumentation intially because I would be VFR only.

So I ask all of you who are (or have been) in a similar position...how do I keep the initial panel costs down, avoid too much stranded investment, and trasition to an IFR panel over time? I also welcome any comments about IFR lighting and other accessories beyond just the panel (backup alternators, batteries, etc.).

Thanks!

I have been investigating avionics and engine instrumentation as I prepare my budget for my 9A build (I know, an airplane build budget is NOT a good idea! :eek:)

I have searched the forums extensively, looking at the varied day & night VFR, lite IFR and full-blown IFR panels and it got me wondering what the best "grow to" approach would be if I were to start basic VFR and work up to full IFR....for both budgetary and practical reasons.

For instance, I could start with a conventional six pack and eventually redeploy those instruments as backups to my ultimate EFIS PFD/MFD panel. Or go EFIS right out of the gate and install lower cost digital engine monitoring I would keep forever, and forego the backup instrumentation intially because I would be VFR only.

So I ask all of you who are (or have been) in a similar position...how do I keep the initial panel costs down, avoid too much stranded investment, and trasition to an IFR panel over time? I also welcome any comments about IFR lighting and other accessories beyond just the panel (backup alternators, batteries, etc.).

Thanks!

My advice.......forget the panel for now. You are nowhere close to having to make avionics decisions and by the time you arrive at that point, the avionics landscape (and your intentions) will have changed drastically.

Window shopping is fun but of no practical value at this time. Just enjoy hammering together your project. :)

Last edited:
Hello Paul

If I were starting over right now and wanted to keep the build time and money down, I would put in minimum VFR panel.
Just enough instruments to get you through phase one.

I started my current project with trying to put together the 'best' IFR panel that I could afford. In the last three years of flying I am now starting on my third panel adjustment. This time I will need to re-cut the panel to make it all fit. The some of the equipment that I chose did not work out. Most was out dated by the time I flew.

I would recommend getting a good engine monitor to start out with.
After you are flying then upgrade your panel as need to do the type of flying that you end up doing with your plane.

Good luck with the build.

Kent

Panel planning and execution....

IMHO, rebuilding/making a replacement instrument panel in an already flying airplane rates up there with brain surgery.... in that you really only want to do your panel ONCE!!

I was 3 yrs in building before having to commitment to panel "mission". It was hardcore evolutionary process... with the same issues you raise. You can follow the process I went through at my logbook here:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=n539rv&project=161&category=3987&log=61713&row=65

I disagree with Kent. If you want IFR, then I would recommend getting an EFIS. AFS and GRT are good choices. The new Dynon Skyview looks good too, but until it's shipping I wouldn't recommend it. If you are looking for an IFR panel, I would also recommend an external autopilot. If the efis dies, you can at least keep the wings level with an external autopilot.

Putting in a VFR panel, then changing later is just wasting money in my opinion.

I do agree with Sam, in that this will be your last purchase decision of the build. Hold off buying anything until you are ready to install it. Have electronics setting on your shelf for a year is not a good use of your money and will almost guanrantee you'll have outdated hardware.

As far as backup instruments goes, that starts to get more into a religious discussion. A lot of opinions and approaches, none are right or wrong, just some work better than others.

For example, another EFIS or analog guages for a backup. The arguement for analog guages are when an emergency happens, people revert to old habits and the standard gauages is what everyone learned with. The other side of the arguement is that if you're comfortable with an EFIS as a primary, why not as a backup. If you use an EFIS as a backup, most will recommend going with a different vendor to minimize the risk in case the EFIS failure is software based. You don't want the same bug taking out all your EFIS screens at the same time.

Paul Dye wrote a great article that was published in the RVator last year. It talks about mission and backup equipment requirements. If haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It will getting you thinking about what you really need.

Your signature block says "preview plans".

If that truly is as far as you have gone, then by all means, wait till later, just like Sam says.

Things change so fast in this world of EFIS, there is no way any plan you make now will survive until it is actually needed.

Patience is a virtue.

Good luck.

As you have heard, wait until the last minute to select your instruments, radios, etc. That stuff is changing at the rate of a PC and by the time you are ready to cut your panel, it will all be different. Dynon's SkyView will be "old stuff" and who knows what else will be available.

Do things like build your electrical system in such a way that upgrades are easy. Use a 60 amp alternator, that kind of stuff. Put conduit down the wings and under the baggage compartment floor, even if it is empty. Thaty will make pulling wires much easier later on.

Rivet in a bracket for the TruTrak/Dynon pitch servo (They are the same bracket) and run wires back there, even if they aren't used. (Running wires out the wing and putting in the roll servo bracket is very easy.)

Then finish up your plane and go fly. After you get a few hundred hours in your plane, you will know how you are going to use it. Once you get that experiance under your belt, you will know what kind of IFR equipment you will need and want.

With the way I built up my plane, I could add a G430W, audio panel, antennas, and go fly.

It is all about what you want, but waiting until you are closer is the best advice this group can give.