Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
Just started the fuse and realized an angle drill would be nice. I'm curious if anyone can give recommendations on angle drills? Electric attachment or air? If air, is the price difference between say Sioux ($400+) and ACAT (half that) warranted? FWIW, I plan on getting an A&P at some point in time so I don't mind investing in good tools, but investment capital for tools is limited, so I'd rather put the money elsewhere if this is a seldom used tool.
Eric

I bought a used one off e-bay for ~$100.... Haven't used it alot, but for a handful of holes, it really came in handy.

I fugure when I am done with my plane, I should be able to sell it for nearly the same price if I want to part with it.

tools

If you want a serious angle drill get a atlas/copco, sioux, ingersall rand or a jiffy.
Get the smallest one you can afford. Hope you don't plan on making a living as a A&P, the aviation job market has changes for the worse in the last 30 years.

I've only used my Sioux, and I can say it's really, really nice. One of the smoothest tools I own.

Hi all-
Just started the fuse and realized an angle drill would be nice. I'm curious if anyone can give recommendations on angle drills? Electric attachment or air? If air, is the price difference between say Sioux ($400+) and ACAT (half that) warranted? FWIW, I plan on getting an A&P at some point in time so I don't mind investing in good tools, but investment capital for tools is limited, so I'd rather put the money elsewhere if this is a seldom used tool.
Eric
I am a sheetmetal mech by trade and would def. recommend an angle drill. I have a 45 and a 90. They are worth every penny. Dotco and Atlas are the best, but expensive. Check out Air Tool Supply, great prices. You can also find recon Sioux's on ebay that are very reasonable.

pan american

I purchased a pan american 90 degree drill. I like it.

After it arrived I spent about 1/2 hour just holding it and thinking why didn't I buy this sooner.

Last edited:
Get the Tight Fit

Regardless of the air drill you choose, get the Tight Fit that Bob recommends because one day you WILL need its compact design and that is the most compact design I have come across. There are other brands as well, but when you need this guy it is because there are no other options.

Electric attachment or air?

I never use the electric right angle attachment I got...way too big. Get one of the air drills the other guys said. Well worth it. I have a 45 deg; sometimes that's best, sometimes I wish I had a 90 deg, but so far my 45 has worked out.

Update

After lurking on ebay for a few weeks, I found a like-new 1551AM (the one sold by av tool vendors) for $200, including more bits than I can imagine ever using. Great tool, don't know how I made it this far without one. Along with the Rohm chuck, one of my best tool investments.