ken28117

ARE Beringer Wheels LIGHTER

They look expensive.....but claim to save 8 pounds....does any one have experience with Beringer wheels....are they really lighter...could make up for the weight of a CS

Last edited:
There is a company by the same name (not sure if its the same company) that makes high end parts for supermoto motorcycles (mostly brake-related parts).

Same here. I can't comment on their Aircraft wheels & brake kits but I've only heard good things about their motorcycle and atv parts.

It's the same company.

Tires

As I recall the main weight improvement was in the tire they were using and eliminating the tube, not the wheel assembly. Think there was maybe 1-2 lbs in the wheel assembly itself, another pound in the tube, the rest in the tire. Keep in mind you have to buy tubeless tires, of which there are fewer options on the market I believe.

You can get several pounds of weight savings yourself using a lighter tire brand/model. You can also buy tubeless wheel assemblies yourself from the usual US suppliers at lower cost I think.

My 2 cents.
Dwight

Requires Beringer's brake setup..

They look expensive.....but claim to save 8 pounds....does any one have experience with Beringer wheels....are they really lighter...could make up for the weight of a CS

... which has a significant affect on cost. The rotors are just flat plates with dog teeth on the outside that engage slots on the wheels. The calipers are inside rather than outside mount. I exchanged e-mails with Remi Beringer for a while. The wheels are actually 3 piece rather than 2 piece, which enables them to be 100% machined from billet stock. Therefore no casting porosity to leak air. I liked the brakes, I liked the wheels, I liked the master cylinder and pressure regulator set-up.

There were two things I didn't like.

1. The real wheel bearings require a larger spindle. Remi supplies a sleeve adaptor that slips over the stock spindle. I suggested that he and Harmon Lange correspond regarding having Lange's company manufacture a tapered gear leg with the larger spindle and gave them each other's e-mail addresses. I believe that Harmon may have a supplier agreeement with Van's that prohibits him from making components that could be viewed as competition to the ones he supplies.

2. The price. Normally, I might be viewed as frugal (cheap). My view is that, in my own mind at least, I am willing to pay more if there is more value received. One of the problems I have with experimental aftermarket components is that many manufacturers have confused good intentions with product improvement. There is little objective testing, just anecdotal testimonials from people who have purchased and having spent the money are naturally in love with what they bought. My own automotive engineering experience with wheels and brakes suggests that Beringer's products are superior, so I continue to wrestle with myself about a final decision.

Larry