mikehoover

Well Known Member
Questions for Beringer nose wheel people:

Today I installed my new Beringer nose wheel on my RV-9A project. It is a beautiful piece of artwork!

After torquing the axle bolt to about 12 Ft#, I turned the wheel and noticed that, while it rotates almost effortlessly, the bearing does rotate some intermittently around the axle. Is this supposed to happen?

Also, I checked the air pressure in the tire straight out of the box and it was around 55 psi. Should that be left as is, or reduced?

Thanks!

pictures?

Mike, I building a 9a too. I am assuming that is a non-standard wheel. Did you take any pictures of the new nose wheel? Im going to do some research.

Thanks and good luck with your build.
rockwood

As soon as you get a load on it, it should perform normally. With a brand new axle and no grit or load present, there's nothing to keep the bearing from rotating on the shaft. As soon as you have weight on the front wheel, the bearing will rotate as intended much, much easier than it will rotate on the shaft.

I love my Beringer nosewheel.

Guy

Kinda pricy, but very happy with it..

IMG_5765a.jpg

IMG_5777a.jpg

very nice

Wow, those wheels are very nice. They really are a work of art. It is a shame to cover them with pants!

Walt,
I am considering changing out my stock wheel to the the Beringer. Is it pretty much just a bolt-on changeover? I am also wondering if there is somewhere cheaper to get on other than Aircraft Spruce?

Steve Johnson
RV9A
Abilene, Tx

I'm not Walt, but I'll share my results.

Yes, it is a bolt in changeover. It took me just a few minutes. I believe Walt has a thread showing the process in these forums. I got a good deal directly from Beringer at Oshkosh in 2010.

On the way home, I stopped in Great Bend Kansas for fuel. There was another RV stranded due to nosewheel tube failure.

I contacted Beringer recently; Aircraft Spruce and Lockwood Aviation are the only two US suppliers. The best price I found was from Lockwood. I've got one on order :).