robertb328

Friend
Any idea why Vans offers the Beringer wheel upgrade for the 10s and not the other A models? I am thinking about deleting the wheel on my finish kit and getting the grove wheel, but would definitely connsider the beringer if it was offered.

You can buy the Beringer Nose wheel direct from Beringer here is a link to their catalog.

http://www.beringer.fr/cat/catPlaneEn.pdf

Scroll down to the nose wheel section.

They say the nose wheel is for the 6A, 7A and 9A but I believe it is the same nose wheel as that used on the 8A.
I upgraded to the Beringer nose wheel on my 6A and am very pleased with the product and would recommend it. (no I don't have any connection to the Beringer company).
Barry RV6A F-PRVM

Robert,
The best thing to do is have Vans remove the nose wheel from your finish kit...

...and replace it with a tail wheel! :D

Another idea you might consider is to give Alan Nemo (Perf-Tech here on the forums) a call over at Anti-Splat and get one of his nose gear stiffeners. It's a nicely done piece, and a good bit of "just in case" nose-over insurance.

Thread drift is complete...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... :D

nose wheel options

IMHO,Converting to tail wheel is the preferred #1 option.The Beringer wheel is a nice piece at $500 but not the whole program. Allan's system Modifying Vans stock wheel,anti splat arm,and lip skid protector work together to put the odds back in your favor $750.If you got to go nose wheel this is the way to go.deleting from the Vans kit is not a good option and the cost/delete ratio is not 1:1. You can always sell anything you don't use here.I remember something about the Grove wheel and valve stems.Van's went to the 10 nose gear for the 14 and as far as I know 10's stay upright in off field landings but have issues of their own.:)

Last edited:
I've been running the Beringer nose wheel for a couple of years now. It's a great product and I would highly recommend it. A big advantage the Beringer has over all the others is its TUBELESS!. No worrying about those cheap tubes, valve stems that don't line up etc.. Worth the $$ IMO.

4 lbs less?!?!

The ACS add says up to 4lbs less? Has anyone actually measured that? Saving money on tubes, getting a better tire included (and free air), less chance of flats, and 4 lbs up front in my nose heavy RV-6a starts to make the wheel look pretty good. Heck, one flat out in the middle of no where that necessitates an overnight stay and some overnight shipping would be a big bite out of the initial purchase price.
What was Lockwoods price?

The ACS add says up to 4lbs less? Has anyone actually measured that? Saving money on tubes, getting a better tire included (and free air), less chance of flats, and 4 lbs up front in my nose heavy RV-6a starts to make the wheel look pretty good. Heck, one flat out in the middle of no where that necessitates an overnight stay and some overnight shipping would be a big bite out of the initial purchase price.

This assumes a guarantee accordance of flat with stock wheel AND a flat-free guarantee with Beringer nose wheel.

Thanks

Thank you for the responses. I had no idea that Vans offered a tail wheel version, so I will look carefully at that option. :)

I will shop around and may buy the Beringer wheel after all, but it would be nice if Vans offered it as an upgrade. I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be well received. I havent heard anyone regret going with it, and if it does save 4 pounds, that is a bonus.

Berlinger front wheel

So, just as a point of interest. Although I'm a while from flying, getting a flat front tire on a Berringer will not be easy to repair. How many of us Berringer wheel owners have purchased or fabricated the jig for wheel re assembly and have a new center gasket as well? This applies only to those actually flying. I think it's still a more reliable way to go, verses tube and tire. AC Spruce sent my Berringer axel, drilled to an AN4 instead of an AN5 bore. Easily remedied. Oh, the difference in weight between the Van stock wheel, tire, tube setup and Berringer's is less than two pounds based on the RV 7a model wheel.
(Thread drift over).

Last edited:

I measured the weight difference. I took Vans stock set up versus the Beringer and the Beringer came out only one pound lighter, but I'll take it along with the other advantages. Nice upgrade!