Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Ok guys, I'm about to order the Beringer brakes. You can choose which fluid you will be using. The lady I spoke to at Beringer said most people from the US choose the MIL-PRF-87257 fluid and most in Europe use the DOT-4. Sounds like there are pros and cons to each. Which did you choose and why?

Thanks

Order the cylinders with the Nitril seals for 87257 fluid. The EPDM seals are for DOT4, automotive brake fluid.

Tom

MIL-PRF-87257

Ok guys, I'm about to order the Beringer brakes. You can choose which fluid you will be using. The lady I spoke to at Beringer said most people from the US choose the MIL-PRF-87257 fluid and most in Europe use the DOT-4. Sounds like there are pros and cons to each. Which did you choose and why?

Thanks

MIL-PRF-87257 is synthetic MIL-5606 that does not burn (catch fire) as easy. It will still burn but reduces the risk of a brake fire over 5606. MIL-PRF-87257 can also be mixed with 5606. IF you are on a trip and land at an airport, there is a good chance you will be able to find seals and brake fluid at the airport that will work without having to make a trip to an auto parts store.

I'm Experimenting with my Experimental, DEX 6 ATF, flash 428 F. compared to the aviation stuff 458 F. so far so good.

I have recently done the same research and decided on the Royco 782, aka MIL-PRF-83282, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/anderolr782hf.php?clickkey=4008

Higher flashpoint than the 5606, no seal or compatibility issues, so I don't have to worry about completely flushing my system, or topping off with 5606 somewhere if that's all I can find. I am also going ahead and replacing my brake lines with stainless flex hose down the gear leg to make future service easier.

Chris

Ok, so I ordered the mineral oil kit today. FYI, they are offering 30% off their kits now if you're on the fence.

Brake fluid

Ok, so I ordered the mineral oil kit today. FYI, they are offering 30% off their kits now if you're on the fence.

Mineral oil kit?
I thought you were going with Barringer recommendation MIL-PRF-87257?.