whifof100ll

Well Known Member
Hello Fellow RV Enthusiasts,

I am the second builder of my non-pre punch RV-6. The first builder did a pretty good job on many things, but there are some boo boos that I have been fixing (all well worth it).

I have recently mounted up the tail feathers to check rigging. With the horns bolted together and left elevator clamped to the HS in area of the counterweight, I noticed that the elevator counterweight on the right side is 1/4 inch low (front edge sticking out in the breeze). I then put a 4' level across a 1/8" spacer at the front HS spar and a 1/4" spacer at the rear HS spar projecting it back over the elevator trailing edge. I measured down to the elevator trailing edge center with a metal rule at different locations on each side comparing like right/left locations.

I did not know what was bent, but knew something was bent, to I took everything apart and layed each piece on a granite table.

I have learned the following.

HS and left elevator are perfectly straight. The right elevator spar is straight, but the elevator was built with about a 1/2" twist at the trailing edge (skin drilled and riveted on crooked.) :<(

With the horns bolted up, the trialing edges of the right and left elevator are even at the metacenter of the elevators (mid point in terms of flying area of each elevator). I therefore think that each elevators as rigged would not produce any real rolling moment, but perhaps some extra drag due to a small rolling moment localized to the right elevator only.

I first thought of re-building just the right elevator. Then since I have 016 skins, I was sort of inclined to buy all new pre-punch 020 elevator parts and built two new ones. ($400). I know 016 skins crack, but do they always crack?

I have spoken to two people about this and both advise against building new elevator(s). They say no big deal, just get the plane flying. Fix it after the plane flies if you want.

Van's tech support advises to weld up one elevator horn, clamp both elevator counterweights to the HS, re-drill the welded up horns. I think this is an easy thing to do, but I believe it would give me a much larger rolling moment than I am likely to have now. He says most RV-s are bent that much.

Another friend who is an experienced builder says not to re-drill the horns but to remove the counterbalance skin (E613), cut bend, and mend the end rib (E603), re-rivet it all together. This would leave the trailing edge twist, but the metacenters are lined up right to left, and it would streamline the counterbalance weights behind the HS right to left at the same stick position. I worry about how well the fiberglass tip will fit.

I also considered drilling the skin off the spar, going with an NAS repair rivet, and trying to rivet it back together straight. Since this is a dimpled skin, nobody, (including me) really thinks this is a good solution.

Does anyone think a 1/2 in twist in the trailing edge of one elevator creates enogh drag to cause a performance difference? I don't need to have the fastest RV made, but I want to cruise at 190MPH.

Also, Have any of you filled fiberglass holes with fiberglass filler and re-drilled? I think i may need new holes and winder about filling vs buying new parts.

How compelled should I be at replacing skins because mine are 016?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions or other advice you may have,
Dale

Any of the answers you have received will work. The question boils down to whether you want to fly or build. Personally, on an aircraft with other minor flaws as you describe (i.e. not an Oshkosh award winner), I'd lean towards going with what you've got. After all, the problem you describe isn't something that is going to catch anyone's eye other than yours.

In addition, if I understand your description of the twisted elevator, it may even reduce the slight left rolling tendancy many RV's have because of torque...

Dale,
Go with it like it is. No one will notice if you don't point it out. As far as the .016 skin cracking, it's caused by the trailing edge radius not being bent properly. If there is ANY bulge between the trainling edge radius and the first rivet, take your seaming plyers and gently compress the trailing edge. My -6 has been flying for 13 years with .016 skins and no cracks.
Mel...DAR

Id go with it.
I had the same problem on my 6. I had a good 1" of twist on my ailerons. Looked funny if you were paying attention. Im no perfectionists by any stretch. Flew fine. Wingman ragged me on it since they had to stare at my crooked ailerons on my 6 for many hours.

I built another pair after 2 years of flying. Built em, painted em, and never stuck them on. They are perfectly straight. I didnt care enough to finish the job before I recently sold the plane. Too busy flying 1500 hours in 3 years to take the plane out of service to finish the job.

In your case no one will will know but you. The flying quality differences are minisquel.

My 8 has perfectly straight ailerons. Not because I really care about the straightness, but because I didnt want mt buds ragging me yet again for the many enjoyable hours left to come.

Ill never win a Lindy, but I will fly and have fun.

Best,

Thanks

Mel, Kyle, and Mike.

Thanks very much for your input. Since I am a first time builder, there are things I just don't know and having access to advice like this is highly valuable!

This is really a fantastic website.

Regards,
Dale Lambert
Frequent but temporary spamcan driver
RV-6 finishing kit

Just as another point of reference, not to disagree with the other posts.
I, too purchased a kit in progress from a previous builder and didn't care for how the tail feathers were built and decided to rebuild them. Basically, just new skins and stiffeners, using the old skeletons, which were just fine.
I agree that it is just a matter of personal preference, but it isn't really that much work.
If you are happy with what you have, I agree they are just fine. If you are pickier than that, then you won't be happy later on.
Rebuilding them later is more of a pain due to the tip work that will be required versus rebuilding them now before you do that.
As far as redrilling fiberglass is concerned, I have done that, too and it works just fine. I use clear packing tape to cover the hole on side of the FG that will mate to the other surface and then fill from the other side. I used epoxy and floss. Make sure you rough up and clean the area of repair prior to filling. Also, bevel the edges so you have more area of adhesion, creating a much stronger bond.
Good luck.