Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
The bendix on my prestolite starter is acting up. Occasionally, the starter fails to do anything at all. Sometimes it just makes a growling noise. And, occasionally, it even engages and starts the engine.

I'll check electrical connections, but otherwise, my guess is that I've just got a gummed up or worn bendix.

And the question is: Assuming I remove the starter, how do I go about servicing the Bendix? Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Check your PM's

Kyle,
I sent you a PM with my cell number.

I completely dis-assembled my bendix a few weeks ago after having similar symptoms and I can tell you how to do it and what to look for.

Mark

Its easy to change the Bendix and makes a world of difference. I can't remember how I did it, but it wasn't very difficult.

Pete

Bendix issues

I was planning on taking my good friend's 8 year old son for an RV ride today. After an extensive pre flight and briefing, we strapped in & turned the key only to find the starter turning, but the bendix not engaging. I tried the usual quick fixes... spraying it with some silicone and tapping it with a wrench, but to no avail, so I pulled the whole starter & drove home with a very disappointed 8 year old :(

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody knew the part number for the bendix drive for an old style Prestolite starter from an O-320 e2d? Can I just buy a new one and drop it in to the old motor (which seems to be working find and has no endplay in the shaft), or do I have to somehow switch the drive gear onto the new bendix unit?

A friend suggested a skytec starter, but I'd really like to keep the old heavy starter up front to help keep the CG forward.

It's been a while since I had that problem, but after removing the starter, it disassembled very easily for clean up and lubrication. Since then, it has worked very well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how it came apart, but again, it was dead simple.

Mine seems to be pretty well stuck in the "engaged" position. I managed to get the gear off of the business end, but after that it didn't seem to want to come apart.
Does anybody know a source (and part number, I can't seem to find one on the unit) for a new Bendix drive for the old, heavy Prestolite starter? Might there be an automotive equivalent that's readily available?