RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've got what I thinks a bad plug wire on my mag. Bendix S4LN-1227.

Does anybody have any tips for removing the wire end inside the mag cap and replacing it. Looks like the little steel pin goes into the carbon core of the wire but I can't figure out an easy way to get it started in the first place.

Sure could use a helpful hint.

I've got what I thinks a bad plug wire on my mag. Bendix S4LN-1227.

Does anybody have any tips for removing the wire end inside the mag cap and replacing it. Looks like the little steel pin goes into the carbon core of the wire but I can't figure out an easy way to get it started in the first place.

Sure could use a helpful hint.

Widget,
The wire on the Bendix Im pretty sure is held in the same as the Slicks. From inside the cap, use a pair of pliers to remove the wire insert that retains the wire.

What makes you think you actually have a bad wire? The center conductor inner spiral core can be checked for continuity end to end with prodding and prying to see if there is a break somewhere. You cant just check for continuity, you have to bend and twist and otherwise put some work effort in trying to actually find a break somewhere.
The outer steel braid, which is not electrically necessary for spark fire in a restive plug like ours, can look awful, broke and falling apart, and have no effect on the fire at all, although it will erode the plug faster if there is a complete break in the outer steel braid.

You can check the cap for corrosion at the pickup. This would be an unusual find though.

High Tension Leads

Hi Jerry

The Bendix Overhaul Manual that covers your series of
magnetos has all the "tricks of the trade" to do a first
rate job. Might be a good investment for ya.

David Mojonnier
Tucson