William

Well Known Member
Hello all I've got my Bendix mags mounted to the engine and I'm working on synchronizing the 2 together. The mags are part # S4LN-20 and S4LN-21. How do I hook up the buzz box to the mags? I've tried hooking the buzz box directly to the p-leads but to no avail, the buzz box does no buzzing or lighting. :) Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
buzz box

Please read instructions for the buzz box. Should be three wires. One to each mag one ground.

plugs

Also make sure you don't kill yourself, remove a plug from each cylinder.

Timing

Most of the timing boxes buzz when turned on and you can check the lights by touching the leads together. You might have box/battery/contacts trouble. Most also turn on the light when the points open. This seems backwards if you think of the mag as simple circuit with the points being a switch, but correct if you think of the light coming on and the plug firing as the same event.

Don B

RV - 9 Rebuild in Progress

Remove the P leads

from the Bendix mags and insert an adapter (I use a cutoff plug lead) into the p lead hole -- hook the buzz box leads to those -- works fine on my engine.

Most of the timing boxes buzz when turned on and you can check the lights by touching the leads together. You might have box/battery/contacts trouble. Most also turn on the light when the points open. This seems backwards if you think of the mag as simple circuit with the points being a switch, but correct if you think of the light coming on and the plug firing as the same event.

Don B

RV - 9 Rebuild in Progress

Hmmm. Didn't test the box. I will hook the ground up and touch the left and right alligator clamps together and see if I get any lights or tones. The timing light I'm using is a tp-105.

from the Bendix mags and insert an adapter (I use a cutoff plug lead) into the p lead hole -- hook the buzz box leads to those -- works fine on my engine.

I read the same in the Bendix mag manual. Only problem is my mags have a cylinder shaped object that is held in place by one of the 4 cover screws on the mag and this is where my p leads are bolted to. Not sure what this p lead hole is refuring to? Can you please clarify? I will upload a few pics of my mags for everyone to see what I'm refuring to.

Thanks
Bill

Those are mag filters. You have one timing cover off a mag already. Remove the other timing cover so both mag filters are out of the equation. Hook your red clips to the screw the capacitor is connected to and make sure you have a good ground. Your p- lead stup doesn't look too good.

i wonder if i can just take the cover plate off of the mag and hook the buzz box leads directly to the grounding spring since i don't have a adapter available.

thanks
bill

Those are mag filters. You have one timing cover off a mag already. Remove the other timing cover so both mag filters are out of the equation. Hook your red clips to the screw the capacitor is connected to and make sure you have a good ground. Your p- lead stup doesn't look too good.

filters they are, thanks. i will try this and report back; i believe i may have a bad buzz box even though it is brand new, as i can't get it to make any noise other then a very low hum when turned on. can't get the lights to turn on. thanks for the good eye on the p leads. i will replace them once the timing is finished.

thanks,
bill

Battery

filters they are, thanks. i will try this and report back; i believe i may have a bad buzz box even though it is brand new, as i can't get it to make any noise other then a very low hum when turned on. can't get the lights to turn on. thanks for the good eye on the p leads. i will replace them once the timing is finished.

thanks,
bill

Have you verified that the 9V battery in the buzz box is good. The behavior you've described sounds exactly like a low battery.

Skylor

Have you verified that the 9V battery in the buzz box is good. The behavior you've described sounds exactly like a low battery.

Skylor

it's funny you mention the battery. the instructions i got with the timing light indicated it had a internal 9v battery. i disassembled it and it doesn't use a 9v battery, but a place for 4 aa batteries. i did install 4 brand new aa batteries before all testing.

thanks,
bill