speyers

Well Known Member
Quick question about bending trailing edges. I am working on the rudder right now and the plans say to shoot for a bend radius of 3/32 of an inch. I put a 1/8 steel rod along the trailing edge because I saw it somewere on a website to prevent to sharp a bend. Now the radius for my completed bend is 5/32 (measured with a drill bit). Is this to large? Will it affect the handling characteristics? Or should I get out the hand seamer and try to get it a little tighter. Thanks for the help.

David
RV-8 Emp.

Hi David

I didn't use steel rods or anything on the inside of the trailing edge. I just put the rudder (and elevators) in the brake and worked on the bend a bit at a time, applying more force with each try, checking in between.

What you have may be fine, but it is hard to tell without seeing it. What you don't want are the rudder or elevators slightly bowed out just ahead of the trailing edge, which is what will happen if the radius is too big. The leading edge of the skin should rest on the spar without applying any hand pressure on it.

The seaming pliers may work, but you have to be very careful as the ends of the seamers may leave dents or creases in the trailing edge.
Cheers

Try squeezing it a little more in the 2x8 homemade brake without the rod and see if that makes it better. If I remember correctly the rudder was the hardest to bend so just play with it a bit.

I didn't use any rods on any of my TE's and all my edges came out pretty straight with the correct radii.