RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
First, let me admit I am being a little fastidious here, but I have to satisfy my curiousity.

I bent the trim tab ends last night, and while overall I am pleased, I feel they could be better. I did as the plans say; I constucted a form, used some scrap wood to start the bend, then finished off the bends with the rivet gun and flush set turned down real low (10psi). I used some scrap wood between the set and the tabs, but the tabs still came out a little wavy and very slightly dented. The bends are crisp and straight, it is just that the tabs are not perfectly smooth.

I have seen pictures on other builder's site where it looks like the tabs were bent on a brake, as they look very smooth and sit almost perfectly flush against each other. I would like to be able to produce the same results.

What am I doing wrong, and IF (big IF) I decide to order a new trim tab skin, what can I do differently to make the tabs smoother?

Thanks!

My inboard trim tab bend has some of the same "features". The outboard trim tab and elevator tab bends will probably never be really noticed once they're painted...

Dave
Member of the Three Trim Tab Club

Contact Cement

;) I did mine as per Van's but I used 3M #77 contact cement on the wood and the metal so it would not slip when using a rivet gun, came out great the first time!

On the second trim tab (first one warped because I hadn't weighted/clamped it down while drilling and riveting), I double stick taped the block to hold it firmly in place inside the skin. Turned out great. The trim tab parts don't cost much if you choose to replace it, but paint might do the same trick.

Good luck.

I wouldn't order a new skin just to bend the tabs again. If you're not happy with the tabs, cut them off and bend up a small rib to go inside the end. I think the rib looks better anyway.

I have to agree with f1rocket, I tried twice with the tabs and was not happy and ended up cutting the tabs off and making a small rib. There are pictures on my site and it ended up looking good.

I did that too. It's easy to fab up a small bending block to form some "riblets" for the trim tab and elevator.

Dave

It's amazing what 24 hours will do...

I went out the shop tonight an took another look at the trim tab. I don't know what I was thinking last night... It is completely acceptable. The "features" are so minor, that I would be a fool to try to do it better. As a local RV-8 builder told me, "The greatest enemy of good is better". With that in mind, I think I will just go with what I have.

Thanks for indulging me!