CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day Folks,

I'm at the stage of the HS build where I have to bend HS 702PP, 710 and 714, 6 degrees. I have read from other people's build logs about using a cardboard template. How do you go about making one of these? Is there a better way of bending these 4 pieces? What worked best for some of the more experienced builders?

Thanks for the time and help!

Cheers

Chris

Bending

Hey Chris,

I didn't make a template at all... All I did was draw a straight line on my work bench 2 feet long, and then used my protractor, drew my desired degree line of 6 degrees, placed the the 810/814 into the vice as well as the 702s and bent until it matched my template diagram on the workbench. Worked perfectly.

I'm sure you're aware of the relief cuts that need to be made in the 702s. It's hard to see in the diagram. But just in case, Brad Oliver's build site shows it very well:

http://www.rv7factory.com/log/050601.php

Cheers,

Don

You have a few options. Don's method is the easiest. If you have access to CAD software (a good, free program is DraftSight) you can just draw a 6 degree line and print it out. Or, you can do it the old fashioned way and do the math and draw yourself a triangle. The tangent of an angle is tan(θ) = Opposite / Adjacent. You know your angle is 6 degrees and assume that the adjacent leg of your triangle is 6" long. Doing the math means the opposite leg of the triangle is .630" or a little bit more than 5/8". In other words, draw a 6" line, then draw a 5/8" line perpendicular to that line. Connect the two lines to make a triangle and you have a 6 degree line. I hope that's clear.

I used a degree wheel for dialing in cam shafts from summit racing, very easy to do. have a pic on my build site.