Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I've been looking at the old threads on the subject and am trying to decide if I should bend the stick for my -8 or not.

I'd like to hear from people of similar stature with RV-8s. Is this something I should consider doing? Are you glad you did? Wish you did? Makes no difference? Wish you didn't?

I'm 6', 210lbs, 34 waist with a 6' reach and blue eyes. :)

Thanks

similar size, no need for stick bend

Hi Paul,

I am 6' 1/2", 190 lb. 33" waist.

All the time I was building, I thought I would want a bent stick, and made a pattern to have one welded up from tube segments. But I tried my stock straight stick first, and it is absolutely perfect for me. So I never made the bent one.

Well Paul, you're not my type ;) but I'm 5' 10" and my -8 has a straight stick. I've never understood the need for the bend. You won't need to move the stick all that much as these airplanes respond to small movements. The only restriction is that your thigh gets in the way sometimes when you have a high crosswind and need to get the stick full over (left or right). I don't think a bent stick will offer any advantage there.

Chris

I've been looking at the old threads on the subject and am trying to decide if I should bend the stick for my -8 or not.

I'd like to hear from people of similar stature with RV-8s. Is this something I should consider doing? Are you glad you did? Wish you did? Makes no difference? Wish you didn't?

I'm 6', 210lbs, 34 waist with a 6' reach and blue eyes. :)

Thanks

For what it's worth, I had a bent control stick initially but ended up buying a new stick to replace it probably before phase 1 was even over as it was just uncomfortable. I can't tell you if there's a body type that would benefit from the bend or a certain grip style that benefits from it. This seems to be one of those areas where Van got it right for me to begin with. But it's easy to swap sticks out so maybe just go with the straight stick and figure it after you fly for a while.

So much dpends on how you're proportioned - torso length, upper arm//lower arm, etc....you really need to throw some pillows in the airplane to simulate cushions, sit in it, and make airplane noises until you're hand is in a comfortable spot. The bent stick works well for me....but then, I also fit in the RV-1..... ;)

I'm definitely bigger than Paul, but as it was pointed out, it all depends on body mechanics. For me, I would love the grip to be about 1-1/2" further aft. On cross country flighs I find I am "reaching" just a bit all the time.

Last edited:
Bent Stick, RV-8

After flying the F-4 for years with a straight stick well forward to the point all F-4 drivers have a slumped right shoulder, I wanted to fly my RV-8 with the stick in my lap so I would sit straight and make small pressure changes flying formation. So, I built my RV-8 with a bent stick with an S curve. Now I can fly with my right forearm on my upper thigh with a straight back and the stick grip is about 4" aft of my knees in level fight. Very comfortable and can caress the stick with finger pressure for subtle pressure changes. Full aft stick will just touch my seat belt and full forward will not quite touch the instrument panel. After a 4 hour xcountry I am still comfortable. Works for me, wouldn't have it any other way.

You can see the bent stick in this picture. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83669

Last edited:
You won't need to move the stick all that much as these airplanes respond to small movements. Chris

Chris what are you saying here? That RV-8 pilots dont need full aft stick operation? That you dont move the stick that much so the bent stick is of no value? This has not been my experience. In fact the complete opposite is true.

If you in fact dont move the stick that much, then the bent stick becomes even more attractive, assuming with the bent stick you can achieve full travel before you hit your gut. Attractive because your forearm sits in a more ergonomic position on your lap with the bent stick.

Frankly I have never been very happy with the RV-8 stick geometry in any configuration. Between the ramp, the panel, getting full travel, stick shortening hosing the leverage, the whole rig has issues. Just one mans opinion.

Over 6' and with a 36" sleeve length, so I use a Tosten grip which is slightly forward of the straight stick center. Perfect.

Stick Grip Choice

Another thing to consider is your stick grip choice. I have a bent stick in my RV-8 and I like the feel, but I have Infinity grips and you will end up doing some custom fitting in order to get the grip to clear the bottom of the panel for full elevator movement. While doing it I was wishing for a straight stick for ease of installation but I am glad I stuck with the bent stick. I also had to bend the rear stick slightly as I used an Infinity grip in the rear also. I do have Classic Aero Aviator seats so I am not sure how the clearance will be with Van's seats. I used the bent stick that is sold on here by Mike (I don't remember his user name). Hope this helps.

I have the Classic Aero seats and infinity grip. I've sat in it a bunch of times, but I haven't cut the stick to length yet, so it bumped against the panel. I think I'll put the seat in again and give it another look, focusing on the ergonomics .

Thanks for your views.