I used the 1" Delta brand sanders, and used them (two with different belts) a lot. I also had a 4", but never used it as often.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

A 2nd vote for a 1" bench top. Many years ago I bought several light weight bench tools from Harbor Freight, & after trying a couple, gave up on them until mid way into the RV build. I pulled out the old HF belt sander & took off all the tables, guards, etc. It's probably the most useful tool in the shop, except maybe the rivet gun.

Charlie

I have two 1" belt sanders. I keep medium sanding belt on one and fine on the other. One of them also has a small disk, but I seldom use it.
I also keep a few extra bearings as they don't last too long.

I have a Delta 4" wide belt/6" disk and use it for all sorts of stuff. The disk is outstanding for squaring up the ends of angle or grinding in a specific angle.

Paul

Porter Cable

I have a 4 x 36 Porter Cable with the belt and wheel. I use the belt quite often (about to fire it up in a few minutes). Dont use the wheel much, but it works great when I do. I've tried 80 and 120 grit. I think I'll stay with the 80, though I may find another source for belts. Belts made for Aluminum.

The most useful fearure of a belt sander if mounted properly is to be able to use the lower wheel to clean up edges of your parts. In order to do this, the lower wheel must be expsoed and be clear of the base so a long part can be passed under the wheel from right to left at about a 45* angle. Kinda like your 3M wheel mounted on the left side of your bench grinder and the grinder mounted on the left front of your work bench with the wheel hanging over the edge of the bench.

With a clear area to the left of the bench, you can now pass any size part across the lower face of the wheel.... right to left and down at a 45* angle.

I use 80 grit belts that are 4" X 36" only because they are easy to find. You can get the most use from 2" to 4" wide belts.

Hope this helps you.............

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a belt sander. Can you guys elaborate more on exactly what you use your belt sanders for? If you didn't have it, is there something else in your shop that would accomplish the same thing?

It's for fabricating small alum parts or modifying others. I would say that's the MAIN reason RVers have them, but there are numerous reasons to have such a handy tool.

It's for fabricating small alum parts or modifying others. I would say that's the MAIN reason RVers have them, but there are numerous reasons to have such a handy tool.

and how often is this done on the average RV7 or 9 slow build?

Keep One For Steel

I have always maintained a dedicated 1" belt sander with a blue Oxide 80 or 120 grit belt for shaping and dressing steel fittings and steel tubing only. This will prevent the aluminum pieces from potential cross-contamination with steel particles.

I am just through the emp and starting he fuse so I can't say how often but I did use it a lot when I made stiffeners and such. You COULD just use a good hand file but I think you can create a higher quality part with better tools avail.

I use (alot) one of the 1" belt with 5" wheel that looks like this:

beltsander00.jpg

I can't imagine building an airplane without one, and can't think of a time when a larger one would have helped much.

Belt Sander use

I am into the wings at the moment and use my 8 inch/ 4 inch Mastercraft Sander ALL the time on just about everything. The T 410 are plates that need to be finely matched to the skin of the tank and this was SOOO much easier when i used this. Also large pieces like the angle on th inboard portion of the wing were cut to close specs then sanded(ground) to fine specs with the bench sander. Had it before the RV7 for wood and will likely be buried with me....LOL
I'm considering buying a belt sander. Can you guys elaborate more on exactly what you use your belt sanders for? If you didn't have it, is there something else in your shop that would accomplish the same thing?

I am into the wings at the moment and use my 8 inch/ 4 inch Mastercraft Sander ALL the time on just about everything. The T 410 are plates that need to be finely matched to the skin of the tank and this was SOOO much easier when i used this. Also large pieces like the angle on th inboard portion of the wing were cut to close specs then sanded(ground) to fine specs with the bench sander. Had it before the RV7 for wood and will likely be buried with me....LOL

Sounds great Dave.
Could any of that have been done with a fine grit bench grinder wheel? or is the belt sander much better for this?

I'll chime in on the 1" belt sander. I bought one from HF they have them on sale for $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html

This is a cheap tool, but I have to say it has been the best $40 I have spent. It's very useful. Sure you could spend more and maybe get a better tool, but I've been happy with this one.

On the other hand I also bought a 10" disc sander from HF and I'm not that happy with it. It's just too much for what we tend to be doing. I'd suggest a smaller disc sander if you buy one.

diamond....Can you guys elaborate more on exactly what you use your belt sanders for? If you didn't have it said:
Bandsaw, sander, Vixen file, mill file. And the part is cut, sanded, smoothed and dressed - done.

Dave

+1 for Dave P above;
A 14" bandsaw, an old Pedistal drill press and a Craftsman Belt/Disc Sander just made everything so much nicer and quicker for me.
Check ads like craigslist. Older high quality tools can be had for less than Harbor Freight Tool's prices.

I have a Delta 4" wide belt/6" disk and use it for all sorts of stuff. The disk is outstanding for squaring up the ends of angle or grinding in a specific angle.

Paul

Same for me.

120 grit on the belt and 80 on the disk.

Just remember, NEVER use the same belt and disk on both aluminum and steel! If you do, then you will push steel bits into the aluminum, which will cause corrosion.

Also, DO NOT use a bench grinder on aluminum!

I see that Menards has their Masterforce 6" belt/9" disc sander on sale for $180 intil mid December. I've come to respect Masterforce as great quality, but is this size sander way overkill for RV building? Also, on what other non-RV projects could this big sander come in handy?

The 1" Delta with the 5" wheel is a great tool and relatively cheap. All I ever needed and I use it all the time for other things. Spend the extra money on other useful tools.

Roberta:)