szicree

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing the hardware to attach where the belly skin overlaps (underlaps?) the lower wing skin. My belly skins are .040 which seems a little thick to dimple for screws. On the other hand, it seems too thin to machine countersink for same. What have others done? Oh, and what type of primer is best? Just kidding. :p

Last edited:
szicree said:
I'm in the process of installing the hardware to attach where the belly skin overlaps (underlaps?) the lower wing skin. My belly skins are .040 which seems a little thick to dimple for screws. On the other hand, it seems too thin to machine countersink for same. What have others done? Oh, and what type of primer is best? Just kidding. :p

what is the callout on the plans?

Peter

Haven't even looked yet. Sometimes folks have improved on the plans, especially ones as ancient as the 4, and I wanted to see what others have done.

Update: I checked the plans and can find no mention of whether to dimple or countersink. They do say to use 1100 type nutplates which would suggest a dimple in both the belly skin and the wing skins and ribs. This doesn't seem right to me since the skin and rib are already riveted together. Hmmmm?

Last edited: