Allan Stern

Well Known Member
I have just started to fly my 8A and noticed that the underside was getting a very nice coating of exhaust on it. I was wondering if this was normal on most 8's? The second question is are there exhaust turndowns or extensions that might be added to redirect the exhaust from the belly? I also noticed that when I have powerd down it appears that I am getting what sounds to be a "back" fire under my feet. Is this the drumming or engine pulses 8's feel when fly? At high power I do not notice it only when I have throttled back on landing.

Thanks
Allan Stern

I had the same issue plus I found some significant cracks at each end of the stiffener midway across the cooling ramp.

I patched the cracks and added downturns and it seems both problems are now solved.

I bought the downturns from a local builder but he got them from Vetterman. If they cost me any airspeed I can't tell it. And the belly is clean!

p.s. Use WD-40 to clean the exhaust residue, it works great.
John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

If you have a Vetterman exhaust, Larry really recommends his downturned tips for the 8A. My exhaust certainly works better with these tips. If you call him, I bet he will send you a set gratis.

The cackling when you pull the power is a common trait of RVs with Vetterman exhaust. If you pull the throttle more slowly it will happen less.

Regards,
Guy

This is for those who are coming down the exhaust road - my 4 pipes have not been trimmed and they absolutely leave no material on the fuselage bottom. I had a lot of stuff left over from the Subby adventure and after cleaning it off with scrubbing bubbles, the skin has remained clean.

I was going to trim the exhaust stacks a bit but have decide not to because cleaning the fuselage bottom is a royal pain in the back. The pipes may cost me a half knot in speed as they are but that's no big deal. The airplane goes plenty fast as is. :)

Just a thought

At the lower power setting, the sound might be an indication of a mixture that is too rich. Don't be afraid to lean a bit during approach or low power settings. Excess fuel will make the motor sound sluggish. Most of us tend to fly too rich during the landing phase. Just athought.