alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
On dwg 15, the length of the 'control stick to aileron bellcrank' push tube (W917) is listed both from the end-of-tube to end-of-tube as well as from eye-of-rod-end bearing to eye-of-rod-end bearing. However, the 'bellcrank to aileron' push tube (W918) part of the drawing only shows the eye-of-rod-end-bearing to eye-of-rod-end-bearing distance (which, in this case, is 27.125").

So what length do I cut the W918 push tube itself? I recognize that I can use the threaded portion of the rod-end bearing for some minor adjustment in length, but have I somewhere missed a suggested measurement for the actual push tube itself? How have others addressed this omission from the drawings?

Thanks.

agreed...

I looked at the 9 plans and cannot find the measurement you are after (DWG 15) - just the overall length c/c of 27 1/8.

I checked this same measurement on the 7 plans and it is 27 5/8 c/c with a rod length of 23 13/16. This means the rod is 3 13/16 shorter than the c/c distance.

Since both the 7 and 9 use HEIM 3414M bearings on a AN490-HT8P threaded rod, I would think that the same difference would apply. That would mean rod length of 23 5/16 for the 9 pushrod.

W-918

I had the same ? and called Van's a while back. Got the "snooty' answer of: "Figure it out." As I remember it I was to figure in the length of the bearings (screw in > 1/2 way) and go for it!
I just measured mine and the push tubes are 23 1/8".

Frank

Thanks Frank and Ron--I agree that I should be able to extrapolate for the -9 from the -7 plans. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who is going to have to guess a little. Rod-end-bearings screwed halfway in is what I was thinking I'd have to use--I'll just try to get close to the two measurements both of you gave. Thanks again. Now, to cut those tubes cleanly...